Solved: System Restore

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dgus1605

After a reinstallation of XP Pro, and restoration of my backup, I get the following everytime I try to open System Restore

"System Restore
System Restore is not able to protect your computer.Please restart your computer and then run System Restore again.
OK"

Restarting the computer does not help. A search of Microsoft site did not help much in that they referred me to an article No.304449. The instructions therein generated the same error message as above.

But I did check the backup report and it seems to indicate that the file rstrui.exe was skipped.

Am I on the right track ? How do I restore the file if that's what is needed.?

Thank you.

You could try the system file checking utility. You may need your XP disc to do this

Click Start/Run and then type the following line in (Note the space after SFC)
sfc /scannow then click ok and let it run.

dgus1605

Thanks for the suggestion. I ran it and waited " while Windows verifies that all protected Windows files are intact and in their original conditions". After completion, no other message appeared, so I really do not know whether everything has been fixed.
Anyway, System Restore still does not operate.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online