1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System shut down

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bonkers72, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bonkers72

bonkers72 Thread Starter

OS XP Home. Just recently one of my pc's have been shutting down on it's own. I would boot up, then it will stay on for about a half hour, then shut down and I cannot boot back up for awhile. It's an older pc with a 20 gig hd almost maxed out. It does seem to be pretty warm too. Any ideas are appreciated, Thanks ;)

2. jhoegl

jhoegl

uh, overheating? probly. Bad Power supply? Most likely. Especially if this is new. Uh, whats your room temp at?

3. bonkers72

bonkers72 Thread Starter

It's an older pc. Room temp has been very warm now that you mention that.

4. jhoegl

jhoegl

well, 77 degrees or so is an optimum. See if you can find out what the cpu temp is.

5. bonkers72

bonkers72 Thread Starter

How do I get to that again? I remember seeing that feature. Isn't on start up I can get to that? Thanks.

6. jhoegl

jhoegl

Generally a program that comes with the computer. I dont know of any program that will work with them unless released by the motherboard manufacturer.

7. bonkers72

bonkers72 Thread Starter

I thought it might have been in the bios screen.

8. jhoegl

jhoegl

yeah, that shows the temp too, but the CPU runs in "Real" mode vs "protected" mode. Real mode is the entire CPU is being utilized, and thus shows the maximum temp it will reach. Wait about 5 minutes and it will go up.

Protected, which is when running the OS, it shows the normal temp. So there should be an OS based temp monitor.

9. bonkers72

bonkers72 Thread Starter

It's been almost an hour and she still won't fire back up. So......should I still try to get that temp for you? If so how do you get to that screen again on start up?

10. jhoegl

jhoegl

fire up as in no power what so ever?

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

If the machine fires back up go to http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html and download and install Everest.

After Everest is installed, launch the program and in the left pane click the + mark next to Computer. From the drop down menu, click on "sensor". Give it a few seconds and it should give you the motherboard, processor, hard drive, etc. temperatures and the fan speeds.

12. bonkers72

bonkers72 Thread Starter

Looks like I figured it out. It was a bad power supply. I swapped power supplies from another computer I had and she's been work'n fine. Thanks for the ideas. B-72

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!