Solved: System Shutdown Software

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sajjadbaqir

Hello ppl. i am looking for a free software that will shutdown my computer immediately when the time is correct. i should be able to set time myself and make the computer shutdown. whatever the computer is doing it should shutdown at the specific time. this is all i need to do. plz help me find this software. thanks.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
How about the stuff that comes with Windows.

Type SHUTDOWN /? for the help screen in a command prompt:

Run SHUTDOWN with the scheduler, and you can do this with no 3rd party software.

Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t xx] [-c "comment"] [-d up:xx:yy]

No args Display this message (same as -?)
-i Display GUI interface, must be the first option
-l Log off (cannot be used with -m option)
-s Shutdown the computer
-r Shutdown and restart the computer
-a Abort a system shutdown
-m \\computername Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort
-t xx Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds
-c "comment" Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)
-f Forces running applications to close without warning
-d [p]:xx:yy The reason code for the shutdown
u is the user code
p is a planned shutdown code
xx is the major reason code (positive integer less than 256)
yy is the minor reason code (positive integer less than 65536)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The 3rd party applications are probably a little more "user friendly", but some folks like to use the stock Windows utilities, that's the only reason I mentioned it. The one Solei posted actually looks pretty slick. :)

sajjadbaqir

well the built-in windows shutdown thing would have been the best, but for a guy like me it looks complicated. and Mr. solei which one of the downloads do you prefer. which software is better? i am trying the first one right now.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
sajjadbaqir said:
well the built-in windows shutdown thing would have been the best, but for a guy like me it looks complicated. and Mr. solei which one of the downloads do you prefer. which software is better? i am trying the first one right now.
What am I, chopped liver?!! :p I vote for my program.

sajjadbaqir

and which one is ur software? the software that solei gave me the link to is (1): this program is a trial version (2): number 2 link, in that program i cannot set the specific time when the computer should shutdown. i don't need a trial version since it will just give me some 10 days to keep the program. i am looking to keep a program like this permanantely on my computer. any more suggestions?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Check out SHUTDOWN and task scheduler, it's not trial software, and I know it'll do exactly what you want to do. :D

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It's conveniently available with 2K or XP, ships with Windows. :D

In Control Panel, Scheduled Tasks, add a task.

The task you want to run should look like this:

C:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe -s -f

Setup the schedule to whenever you want the shutdown to occur.

Make sure you give it an account name/password that has admin rights. Also, scheduled tasks won't run without a password on an account.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
sajjadbaqir said:
and which one is ur software?
Scroll up and read my first post in this thread. I posted a nice convenient link for you to click on. Can't miss it.

sajjadbaqir

i wasn't successful with the built in task scheluder in windows. for some reason it didn't perform the task i told it to. isn't there any software that is not a trial version and will shutdown my machine at a specific time. there must be one.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
sajjadbaqir said:
i wasn't successful with the built in task scheluder in windows. for some reason it didn't perform the task i told it to. isn't there any software that is not a trial version and will shutdown my machine at a specific time. there must be one.
As I said in two previous posts. Look at my first post in this thread. I posted a nice link for you too click on.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online