1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System shuts down

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bizziebill, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bizziebill

bizziebill Thread Starter

Running WinXP Home.. Compaq Presaio. 2.4 AMD Athlon, 1gig ram. Resently install new cooler fans, both CPU and tower fans. The system is 3 years old, bought it new.
    Computer will shut down on its own. Have to shut off the main power then it will restart, main power meaning I have a under the monitor power supply that everything is plugged into, the type w/ computer, monitor, printer & two aux toggle switches.:confused: :confused: :(

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi System shutdown..most likely caused by..
    Overheating..Power supply problem..Memory or Graphic card problem..etc.
    Check Event Manager and find the last entry..

3. bizziebill

I will check the Event Manager, but how is this done.

4. blues_harp28

Hi..Events Manager!!!! Sorry..Forget that..my mind was elsewhere when I added that..
    How soon after start up..does it shut down?

5. bizziebill

It varies, like right now it's been running for about three hours. Just every know and then when I'm working on something, doesn't matter what, it will just up and shut down. One day it done this about three times. The last time was last night, Norton was scanning when it happened.:confused:

6. blues_harp28

Hi..you have yet to post a Hijack this log..a log expert will check it..link below.
    That will eliminate problems with running programs etc..
    D/load..install in C:\ program file..click scan and save logfile..it wll open in notepad.
    Click edit>select all>edit>copy>back to your thread>paste on your thread..

7. bizziebill

Was the CPU fan, replaced it worked great and sold the system. I told the buyer about the problems I've had. Never really like Compaq anyway.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice