1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] System won't detect new 4port USB PCI card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dud, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dud

dud Guest Thread Starter

Hi all...hope someone can help here..I'm getting desperate now! :(
    System is a AMD 350 on a A15VG+ motherboard using Via tech 3038 chipset.
    I'm trying to sort this out for a friend who has just bought a new USB scanner. The board supports USB which I have enabled in the bios even tho there is no built in USB slots, hence the purchase of a new 4 port USB pci card (which does work as tested in different machine).
    But this system just will not detect and install it. I have downloaded the updated VIA usb filter patch to no avail and also tried the card in all four pci slots. I am now at a loss.

ANy help would be GREATLY appreciated as my firend is desperate to use his new scanner!

Many thanks
    Andy

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi, and welcome.

What operating system is he/she running?

3. dud

dud Guest Thread Starter

Doh.. would help wouldn't it... Windows ME

4. ~Candy~

Ok, can we have a look at the IRQ listing?

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok....go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When you get desperate enough to tell us what O/S you're running, get back to us. :rolleyes:

6. ~Candy~

7. dud

dud Guest Thread Starter

Hehe.. not as easy as that... I'm using a different pc so its the old method of cut and paste, ie, long hand!! Here goes:

0 System timer
    1 Keyboard
    2 Programmable Interrupt Controller
    3 COM2
    4 COM1
    6 Floppy disk controller
    7 LPT1
    8 CMOS/real time clock
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI steering
    10 S3 tri 64v + PCI (765) graphic card
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI steering
    11 CMI8738/C3DX PCI audio device
    13 Numeric
    14 VIA bus master PCI IDE controller
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 VIA bus master PCI IDE controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)

phew!

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need the driver disk for that USB card, since I suspect it's a USB 2.0 based on the NEC chipset, and ME doesn't have drivers for it. If it's not being detected at all, I'd be looking in the BIOS to see if PnP is enabled.

FWIW, are you sure the MB doesn't have USB, but just not the connectors? Many motherboards included the function, but just left a header for the USB, you had to buy the bracket with the USB sockets on it. Without the card in, is there any mention of a USB controller in Device Manager?

9. ~Candy~

Ooops, should have thought that you were using a different PC....sorry 'bout that one.....

Well, for one, no USB hub or controller appears there.....so that would be the major problem.....

Can you try it in another slot maybe? Are you sure it's nice and snug in the slot?

Also, I see no mouse on # 12....what kind of mouse do you have?

10. dud

dud Guest Thread Starter

OK, I'll try to answer both replies in one here..

The card is USB 1 and does not come witha driver disk as it claims to be fully compatible with the standard openhcd driver. It has a Lucent chipset on it.
    The mobo, as far as I can tell, just supports USB. I can not see any connectors or pins where a USB bracket might connect. When USB is enabled in the bios the PCI to USB controller and one USB Root hub do appear in the Device Manager. But I have tried it with USB both enabled and disabled with the same negative results.
    I have also tried PnP enabled and disabled

I have also been surfing through Google for answers and would ask your opinion on this.. I found somewhere a recommendation that 'Reset Configuration Data' in the bios should be enabled. Might that be a cause or a cure?

I have tried all the pci slots.
    Its a serial mouse :mad:

Thanks for your time on this!

11. plschwartz

plschwartz

12. ~Candy~

Please be sure to keep both of these enabled.......the USB hub and controller MUST appear in the device manager.....

13. dud

dud Guest Thread Starter

That has been one of the permutations... :confused:

14. ~Candy~

Ok, WHEN they DO appear in the device manager.....can you update the IRQ listing for me?

15. dud

dud Guest Thread Starter

Will do... but tomorrow... too latre now and too much jd down the hatch! thanks anyway,
    i'll post tomorrow.
    Cheerrrs!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112518

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice