Solved: System won't post!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Zman1764

Heres whats happening:

I have a computer i am fixing for a client of mine. Specs are as follows:

Antec True330 Power supply
Abit AN7 Motherboard
1 GB PC2700 DDR RAM
Geforce 4 Video card (can't find the actual Model, its an Albatron Branded card)
Hard drive (not sure of size or whatnot)
CD Writer
CD ROM
Misc....

I really am not sure of the problem, but I suspect the motherboard to be the culprit.

The system doesn't post at all. It starts, and everything spins up and such but nothing happens.

Any Opinions?
Thanks in advanced, Zman...

Zman1764

are all CMOS batteries universal? I have another motherboard that I can take one out of. I'll check it anyways tho.

One thing I should mention. The people who own this PC said that they had unplugged everything when they had gonje on their weekend trip. However they forgot to uplug the computer, and there was a lightning storm in the area, thus they think it might have been struck. I dont know how well this theory fits tho because if that was the case the power supply would also be fried, if anything, and not just the motherboard (please correct me if I am wrong).....

Zman1764

its not the CMOS battery...

I guess I'll try the graphics card and if that does it then the one they have is fried...
Otherwise, the motherboard is shot. I highly doubt its the processor.

Lemme go experiment with this.

Zman1764 said:
One thing I should mention. The people who own this PC said that they had unplugged everything when they had gonje on their weekend trip. However they forgot to uplug the computer, and there was a lightning storm in the area, thus they think it might have been struck. I dont know how well this theory fits tho because if that was the case the power supply would also be fried, if anything, and not just the motherboard (please correct me if I am wrong).....
With this info I wouldn't mess with the battery...

Got a question...

Does the MBO have a Modem ( the AN7 doesn't appear to have an on board one from what I can see ), and do they use it ?

If so...I would remove the Modem first, and try a BOOT...JMO...

Now on the PSU, remember there are several voltages coming from it, if any one of them are off, or missing the pc will not BOOT ( it may go through the motions so to speak but will not boot ), so it could be the culprit as well...

JMO...

Zman1764

hmm, quite a wierd situatiuon here. What had happened was there were two sticks of RAM (512 Each), one was in the first slot, the other in the third. It seems the third slot died because I removed the one from the third slot and it booted, then swapped the one in the first with the one that I had pulled out, and it booted again. I put both back in the slots they were originally in (stick from the first slot in the third, stick from the third in the first), but it wouldnt boot. I moved the one from the third into the second and it booted.

Get that?

Long story short, 3rd ram slot died so its probably time for a new motherboard later down the road (i estimate a few more months out of this one for them)..

Thanks for the help guys.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online