1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: T3382 will not boot to restore cds

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Battlesoaked, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Battlesoaked

Battlesoaked Thread Starter

My friend's eMachine T3882 running XP SP3 needs a reformat and reinstall from the restore CDs. But I can't get the computer to boot to the optical drive with them. I did restore to the restore partition, but the OS updates will not install.

I have tried:

1) Booting to Gparted to format the entire drive, both with a CD and a LinuxLive USB Creator running Ubuntu 10.10.

2) Disabling all but the DVD boot option in the bios.

All I can get into is the "PC Angel" restore partition, which I've tried twice, and, again, the updates won't load.

I've reinstalled on this very machine with these very discs before.

Linux will boot to the screen where you can choose to install or run as a Live CD, but it hangs on both after selecting one or the other.

I ran SpinRite, and it says the drive is fine.

I'm not sure what to try next.

All suggestions appreciated. I do have an Easeus image, but the program says the image is corrupted. I'm willing to try shoehorning that image in if there's a way to do that.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

2. itsjusme

itsjusme

What happens when you try to boot to the Gparted cd?
    If it boots to it`s desktop, can you see the partitions when you run it or does it keep scrolling like it`s looking for a drive?

3. Battlesoaked

The only thing which will boot is the Plop boot manager on a cd. I'm going to try it on a usb key and see if I can't force a boot to the restore CDs that way . . . .

Gparted won't boot. All I get is a prompt asking me to insert a bootable media.

4. Battlesoaked

Alright. So here's what I tried, and it's not working, because I'm looking at "ding plpbt.bin...ready". And what I want to see is the restore CDs spinning away and restoring Windows XP from a known good copy.

"ding plpbt.bin...ready" is upon booting a plop cd, then telling it to tell the machine to boot to the USB. The USB drive, in turn, has the Plop boot loader on it, too. I quickly removed the Plop CD from the optical drive, inserted the eMachine branded CDs sent with this machine - they actually say "eMachines T3882," and there are four of them - and then told the Plop boot loader on the USB drive to tell the machine to boot to the CD drive. It rumbled and spun its way to the prompt I listed above.

These are all the tricks I have. I'm too tired and defeated to curl up in a fetal position and contemplate my, uh, defeat.

Thanks for listening. All suggestions as welcome as they are appreciated.

Love,
    Battlesoaked

5. Battlesoaked

OK. I've managed to boot to a Live Damn Small Linux environment. I'm tempted to install it in such a way that it occupies the entire drive, and that so that I don't keep getting thrown into the restore partition on this machine when I insert the OS restore CDs.

Is there a way to determine if the XP OS CDs are somehow damaged? Are there checksums I might reference? I'm a bit concerned about erasing the entire drive absent some bootable XP CDs at hand . . . .

So I'm going to call it a night with DSL running and see if any of you guys might want to chime in, and I will revisit in the morning . . .,

Thanks again,
    Scott

6. itsjusme

itsjusme

Have you tried to boot the Gparted cd in another machine to verify that it works?

Have you looked at the files on the Gparted disk, how many files are there? You should have multiple files if it`s properly burned, if you only see one file with an .iso extension, it only copied that file to the cd and it`s not burned as a bootable image.

Do you have another cd/dvd drive you can try, if the Gparted and Ubuntu disks are properly burned and they will boot in another machine, you may have drive problems.

7. Battlesoaked

Yes, the disks are fine. I overwrote Windows with DSL, then booted with an easeus boot disc, then restored from the easeus image that the easeus program running in the old windows installation said was a corrupted image (probably either the virus or a bug in the older version of easeus).

Thanks for your help, BTW, itsjustme!

SKS

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice