1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Tacking down a thief using email headers

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Flowdrip, Mar 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flowdrip

Flowdrip Thread Starter

I was told it is possible to track down someone using just the headers of an email that was sent to me. I was victimized by a jerk in Manitoba, Canada to the tune of $160.00. All I have from him is an email address and a few emails from him. Is it possible to track down a house address from an email or is it only possible to do this with some sort of software program?

2. brooksy

brooksy Banned

if it was possible he would have probably set up a account with none of his details. There may be a way to track him via is IP address, i am pretty sure someone can do this....

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can't get a street address from an IP address unless the person pays for a static IP which very, very few people do. All you'd get is an ISP, and then you'd have to subpoena their records to get a name. And that's assuming the guy sent the messages from his house and didn't go through a proxy server.

I can understand that you're ticked at the guy, but the chances of you actually finding the guy and successfully prosecuting him are slim to none especially if you're crossing international borders.

4. Flowdrip

Flowdrip Thread Starter

Well that isn't very encouraging news, DoubleHelix! I actually just need the city he is in. If I get that then all I have to do is hop a plane and go find the *******. Then I will teach him how impolite it is to steal people's hard earned money. After I remove both of his hands, he wouldn't be able to type anymore fraudulant Ebay auctions and the problem would be solved!

5. techy689

techy689

I got scammed $560. I know how you feel. But as my signature says,....

6. techy689

techy689

Did you sell the item or buy the item?

7. techy689

techy689

Also, even with a dynamic IP, you could probably narrow the person address down to a couple of blocks.... but depending on where you live, you'd probably waste more money getting to the guy than you lost.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Hop on a plane round trip for $160? Are you kidding? Search for someone in a city? Maybe you live in a very very small city where you can find someone in a day or two, but get real. There's no way you'll find some guy who scammed you by locating the city his IP points to.

As I said before, you have to assume the IP points to the guy's ISP. If he sent the e-mail from the local library, office building, or any public place, you're SOL. Even if you get the ISP or store or business, you have to go to court to get user info. I don't know Canadian law on this. Do you?

My intent isn't to be harsh, it's to be realistic. The chances of you finding this guy on your own are slim to none. Even if you could, you'll spend way more than $160. If you're willing to spend an unlimited amount of money to bring this person to justice, go for it.

9. diggingforgold

diggingforgold

If the guy was not using a remote proxy or webmail, you can get a rough estimate of the region by looking up the whois records for his IP address.

In his email headers (usually next to "Received: from" or something similar) you should find an IP address. There may be a few listed. Don't confuse his email servers IP or your email servers IP or your IP for his, as these may all be in the headers. Keep in mind that if he was sending from webmail or using a proxy server, this information will be useless.

Next, take that IP address and perform a whois lookup. http://whois.domaintools.com/

Next to location should be a rough estimate of where the IP is located. Just remember that the address in the whois record will not be his home address, but rather, the address to which the IP is registered to (for instance, his ISP).
    If you are lucky, you can get a reverse DNS on the IP which may provide location details in the URL, depending on the ISP (for instance, something like "123-123-123-123.city.state.region.isp.net").

If you try contacting his ISP, they will not provide his address since that would be a liability for them to provide random people with their customers information. Your only luck is to get law enforcement involved. Some ISP cooperate with law enforcement without being subpoenaed for information, others do not.

Another tip is to try googling his email address or screenname and find as much information as you can about this person. You can be surprised how much info you can learn about a person just by googling.

Good luck!

10. techy689

techy689

nice

11. techy689

techy689

well looks like you got your answer... you can mark this thread solved.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/552125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice