Solved: Talk Talk ..vs.. Speedtouch 585 ...HELP! :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

paulb100

Hi

I have setup a Speedtouch Wireless Router 585 for my sister...
The Talk Talk connection works fine on her modem, but when we try the router
it says its connected and has IP address and DNS Server address's but no internet
comes through, the lights are green indicating all is fine and conectivity test says all is OK
BUT it supposed to have...

DSL (y)
ATM (y)
Ethernet (y)
PPP (y)
IP (y)
Internet (y)

but Ethernet is completely missing from the line up... the manual shows what a perfect running conection should be and its all ok except for the Ethernet entry missing completley?

The laptop connects @ 100Mbps no probs via Ethernet and we can access the router settings via ethernet so that indicates that there isnt any problem with the LAN connection

when she trys to access the internet the internet light flashes to indicate activity but nothing happens..

Pings all fail...

what could be the problem?

we have the right username and password in and if any of the config were incorrect it wouldnt connect at all would it?

I have it set as so...
PPPoA (VCMUX or VCBASED)
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Authentication: CHAP

are these correct?

it displays this below which im unsure about as it didnt say that on my IPstream connection (she on Talk Talk LLu maybe thats why i dunno)
g.992.3 annex l us wide

Any help greatley appreciated... thanks

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Try these simple tests.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

PING 216.109.112.135

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

I'd also like to see this for that computer.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

paulb100

thanks

I will get more when she on but i pinged and it lost all packets
the Speedtouch connection tester revealed all was OK and showed IP address AND DNS server IPs

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Those are the kind of things we need to have specifics on. :)

TerryNet

Terry
Some ISP's require that you register the new modem (the "router" is a modem/router combo) with them when switching. Don't know if this applies to Talk Talk.

paulb100

thanks for reply,
No this does not apply as we have used Netgear on it no problemo

paulb100

I have aquired new firmware to get rid of the tiscali branded firmware and I have also attained a Thompson CD that installs Broadband on any of thier products...
Iam goin to upgrade and install tomorrow - I think all will be well but i will keep you posted
THANKS

paulb100

Hi all....
Thanks for your help, I got it working,
however, i couldnt overwrite the Firmware, for some reason Thompson offer the firmware but no updating instruction or program for 585v6 6.2 firmware -
so
I reset it (still Tiscali branded) and used the Installer CD i downloaded and it installed the broadband settings perfectly and all is well

thanks for helping me our :)

paulb100

hopefully it should be ok... just wonder why it didnt work with the same settings in before hand.. only difference is this time a Thompson installer set it up instead of manual...
i have restarted it a few times to be sure, i think it will be ok now

thanks JohnWill

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online