1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Task Scheduler "corrupt or tampered with" error messages

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lagunasrfr, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lagunasrfr

lagunasrfr Thread Starter

I get a number of these "task is corrupt or been tampered with" error messages when loading Task Scheduler.

In particular, I'm concerned about the System Restore task, found in \windows\system32\tasks\microsoft\windows\tasks\systemrestore (the SR task). I get the message and error code of 0x80041321.

I have lots of current and recent restore points in \system volume information.

I ran sfc /scannow to rebuild any problem system files.

vssadmin seems to show everything is ok with shadow copies.

I get the error message when running Control Panel...System...System Protection...Create. , so I cannot create a system restore point on my own. Restore points are created ok by Windows Update and other installer programs. I get "corrupt" message and error code of 0x80041321 when trying to run.

I have a clean system (no viruses) and am kind of stumped as to why these errors are occuring.

2. lagunasrfr

I'm surprised there are not more complaints about this problem. After much searching I found http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversecurity/thread/20922803-5afc-43f1-91a3-394aeb9d6d19 which lead to a Microsoft KB page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2305420.

If you review the above links you will see that MS Security Update KB2305420 (about December 15, 2010) caused problems in Task Scheduler, giving false errors "corrupt or tampered with files."

The two fixes are to uninstall KB2305420 or to follow instructions in the second link above. I chose to uninstall KB2305420.

My initial post explained that I could not manually create a system restore point drilling down from the System item in the control panel. After I uninstalled KB2305420, I am able to manually create a restore point.

Funny thing is that automatic restore points were being created from the task in task scheduler, even though Task Scheduler recognized (in error) SystemRestore as an invalid task when I clicked on it.

KB230540 apparently causes this problem in Vista, Windows 7 and Server 2008.

3. rileyjshaw

rileyjshaw

Hi there,

I have been encountering the same problem on Windows 7 Professional x64 for quite some time. It is imperative that I get a consistent backup running as soon as possible. After research, I removed the suspect update. Unfortunately, the problem has persisted. I've turned off automatic updates, and checked to make sure that KB2305420 remained uninstalled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've included my specs in my profile.

Thank you,

4. rileyjshaw

rileyjshaw

**Did not mean to double post! Please disregard.**

Hi there,

I have been encountering the same problem on Windows 7 Professional x64 for quite some time. It is imperative that I get a consistent backup running as soon as possible. After research, I removed the suspect update. Unfortunately, the problem has persisted. I've turned off automatic updates, and checked to make sure that KB2305420 remained uninstalled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've included my specs in my profile.

Thank you,

5. Deke40

Deke40

I had gave up trying to find the annoying popup when I opened TS.

Uninstalled the mentioned KB and it is working fine now.

Got this from the link so I am not too concerned as I am the only person that uses this pc.

Executive Summary
    This security update resolves a publicly disclosed vulnerability in Windows Task Scheduler. The vulnerability could allow elevation of privilege if an attacker logged on to an affected system and ran a specially crafted application. An attacker must have valid logon credentials and be able to log on locally to exploit this vulnerability. The vulnerability could not be exploited remotely or by anonymous users.

6. lagunasrfr

Deke40: I still wonder why there are not tons of replies here. Should be a widespread problem.

7. Deke40

Deke40

I imagine there are a lot of people that never go in to the Task Scheduler therefore they don't see the problem.

8. lagunasrfr

Understand. But in my case, I could not do a system restore while the module was installed. Sys Restore told me I had corrupt sys restore files. After update module was removed, I could do a system restore. Apparently not a lot of people do system restores. I notice lots of posts where people go ahead and do a complete reinstall of Vista, Win 7 etc. when they cannot boot Windows.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice