1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Task Scheduler Missing from Services

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ApexPredator, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ApexPredator

ApexPredator Thread Starter

Task scheduler does not appear in the services list. I am logged in under the administrator account and am using Windows XP Professional. Every time I try to start the task scheduler in control panel -> scheduled tasks it says 'Unable to start'. When I try to view the properties of a scheduled task I get error: 0x80041315 (This is a picture of the error http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1897/taskschedulererrorox5.png) I reinstalled Windows Internet Explorer 7 but it still does not appear in the services list. I also used System file checker but it didn't fix it either. I also have read this webpage ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223170 ) but it does not help since I do not have Task Scheduler listed in the services list. I really don't want to reinstall windows xp...is there some way I can get the Task Scheduler working again? (Also I've selected the Notify of missed tasks option but that doesn't seem to work either)

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Task Scheduler is not present in services.msc?

Run regedit and see if the key below is present:

If not try downloading, unzipping and running the registry data from my Xp system. It should merge to the registry, and hopefully on reboot, "Task Scheduler" should be present in the services list.

You can try the merge even if you do find "Scheduler" present -- as there may be some missing or damaged data.

Attached Files:

3. ApexPredator

ApexPredator Thread Starter

Thanks, I didn't have that registry key in there. Task Scheduler is working again.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Sheesh, makes you wonder what happened to it. :rolleyes:

You might check your event viewer (run: eventvwr.msc) and look for errors which could indicate disk corruption in the System log (NTFS).

But glad to hear that sorted it for you.

You're most welcome for the help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/730142