Solved: taskbar and passwords, please help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

giulio

Hi everyone, I recently unchecked the options to startup up windows with a password and I lost the desktop I had, it reverted to a clean desktop like when we install xp, now, I can live with that but whats happens as well is that I want to add quick launch to my taskbar, it does but the task bar is double the size and it won't go down. ( I tried every way possible)

Now is there any way possible to get my old desktop back if I go back into passwords2 and I check the passwords again? maybe?

If not how do I get the task bar to normal size with the quick launch icons?

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi giulio

Is the Taskbar locked? If so, try unlocking it then resizing it.

If you look at the Start Menu, Can you see the name of the User Account that you normally login with?

Returning the passwords option will probably sort it out.
You may have inadvertently selected a different User Account to start up when Windows starts.

Did you right click the taskbar and uncheck Lock the Taskbar? When you do, you should see a vertical dotted bar next to the Start button. You may have to move it to make room for your Quick Launch. If there is not enough room on the taskbar for the QL and the taskbar, it will make a second row.

giulio

there is alot of room , I checked and unchecked I tried everything possible

giulio

EAFiedler said:
Hi giulio

Is the Taskbar locked? If so, try unlocking it then resizing it.

If you look at the Start Menu, Can you see the name of the User Account that you normally login with?

Returning the passwords option will probably sort it out.
You may have inadvertently selected a different User Account to start up when Windows starts.
how should i set it up? what should it say what kind of account it should be, admin. de-bugger.....?

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Returning the check mark to Users must enter a user name and password... should bring the Welcome Screen back with the accounts showing.
Once you do that and reboot, select the User Account you want to login with and see if the correct Desktop shows.

Setup your User Account? I don't have a de-bugger profile for User Accounts.
Where are you seeing that?
Mine is Windows XP Home are you using Professional?

I have my User Account setup as an Admin profile.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Reset it so that a password is required then check each User Account to see if the Desktop you want appears in one of them.

If you find it, then run the control userpasswords2 command again and be sure to highlight/select that User Account.

If you have it enabled, you should also be able to use Fast User Switching to see if the other User Account has the Desktop you remember.
Start > Log Off User Account > Switch User

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online