Solved: Taskbar Notification area

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jugk

Windows XP Pro with newly installed SP3. After installing SP3 the volume icon disappears every time I boot up. I have to go to Control Panel>Sounds & Audio Devices>turn off 'place volume icon in the task bar'. Then go back and turn it on. The icon appears, but when I turn the computer off and boot up it is gone again, and put on the 'Past Items' list.
In the task bar properties> Customise Notification> 'volume' is set to 'always on'. The 'lock the toolbar' is then turned on. I click 'Apply' then 'OK'.
How do I make the volume icon stay in the notification bar permanently? Is there a way to set it in the registry?

There a lot of icons in the notification area that I do not need. How do I remove them?

Would appreciate your help. Thank you, :confused: Jugk

blues_harp28

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi, check and post
TSG System Information Utility - found here.
http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links
------
Click the Start button > Run > Type
msconfig

Click on the Start up tab.
Write down carefully what is listed and post the list here.
Or post a screenshot.
http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot
------
Download Security Check by screen317
http://screen317.spywareinfoforum.org/
Save it to your Desktop.

Double click the install icon.
A command Prompt window will open.
Let it scan the Pc - press any key when asked.
It should now open in Notepad - and will save a log called checkup.txt.
Post the result of the scan here.

After years of fidgeting with this issue, I recommend some sort of volume control that will run in Windows for the job. I found a docklet for RocketDock that I use. Now I just don't miss it anymore...

:(

PS: There is also a program called Volume^2 as in Volume Squared that will give you some very cool functions for volume control. I can PM you a download link if you'd like to try it. I have it, and it works great. Even comes in a portable version.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Windows XP Pro with newly installed SP3. After installing SP3 the volume icon disappears every time I boot up. I have to go to Control Panel>Sounds & Audio Devices>turn off 'place volume icon in the task bar'. Then go back and turn it on. The icon appears, but when I turn the computer off and boot up it is gone again, and put on the 'Past Items' list.
In the task bar properties> Customise Notification> 'volume' is set to 'always on'. The 'lock the toolbar' is then turned on. I click 'Apply' then 'OK'.
How do I make the volume icon stay in the notification bar permanently? Is there a way to set it in the registry?

There a lot of icons in the notification area that I do not need. How do I remove them?

Would appreciate your help. Thank you, :confused: Jugk
That may depend on your sound card driver software. It might be taking over. If you have a Realtek High definition Audio sound card, disable the manager.

Click Start > Run > type msconfig

Press Enter.

Select the Startup tab.

Uncheck RTHDCPL, which is the Realtek HD Audio Sound Effect Manager.

Restart your computer.

After restarting, when the small "System Configuration Utility" window appears, ignore the message. Put a check mark in that window, then click OK.

Jugk

That may depend on your sound card driver software. It might be taking over. If you have a Realtek High definition Audio sound card, disable the manager.

Click Start > Run > type msconfig

Press Enter.

Select the Startup tab.

Uncheck RTHDCPL, which is the Realtek HD Audio Sound Effect Manager.

Restart your computer.

After restarting, when the small "System Configuration Utility" window appears, ignore the message. Put a check mark in that window, then click OK.
Thank you for your reply. I have a Sigma tel Audio card and that is what opens in the Control Panel for Sounds and Audio Devices and where I tick or un-tick the volume to put on the notification bar.
Your suggestion sounds good except I do not know what the Sigma Tel will be called in short terms. Should I look for a 'CPL' ending entry? Any other suggestions?
Also have a Webcam that has speakers and Skype uses Audio too. It may have been cause by a skype update. Monitors also have speakers but I do not use those. My keyboard can also controll mute and volume but it does not work with the volume button missing from the notification bar.
I will also check settings for the other sound dependant programs to see if one of those took over.
Thank You! [Jugk], Judy

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
1- Please click HERE to download HijackThis.

2- Run the program.

3- Click on the Main Menu button if not already there.

4- Select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

5- Copy and paste the scan log from Notepad into your next reply. Do not attach it.

6- Do not "Fix" anything unless advised to do so.

Jugk

After years of fidgeting with this issue, I recommend some sort of volume control that will run in Windows for the job. I found a docklet for RocketDock that I use. Now I just don't miss it anymore...

:(

PS: There is also a program called Volume^2 as in Volume Squared that will give you some very cool functions for volume control. I can PM you a download link if you'd like to try it. I have it, and it works great. Even comes in a portable version.
Thank you for your reply and advice. It would be greatly appreciated if you could send me the link to the Volume 2 program. That might be the quickest and best answer to my problem.
Thank you again,
[jugk], Judy

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
I see maybe I am a little late with the download link. Hello, Phantom010.

Sent you a PM Judy. Some good info on installing and using V^2 in the PM and a link to a safe download site. There is a portable version available, and you can download it on this site if you would just like to try it out before installing it. Of course, if you like portable programs, not much difference actually, you can just keep the portable.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help...PM or post or whatever...

Jugk

Dear AltBo,

Thank you for the PM and advice and the download link. Excellent and detailed description/instructions. You are not too late. I do not feel comfortable with a "HijackThis" download or scanning my whole hard drive and posting it. So I am not going to do that.
I will try your link to Volume 2. Thank you, Judy

You're welcome...hope you like the program. Let me know if you have any questions...

Jugk

1- Please click HERE to download HijackThis.

2- Run the program.

3- Click on the Main Menu button if not already there.

4- Select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

5- Copy and paste the scan log from Notepad into your next reply. Do not attach it.

6- Do not "Fix" anything unless advised to do so.
Dear Phantom010,
I do not feel comfortable with a "HijackThis" download or scanning my whole hard drive and posting it. So I am not going to do that. It sounds like a register cleaner program and I have not had good results with those and getting them off the hard drive and register is a nightmare.
AltBo also sent me a link to the Volume 2 program along with detailed instructions on how to use it. So I am going to check that out.
Thank You for your help. Judy

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
HijackThis will not do anything to your computer. It's only to create a report to show me what's loading with Windows, and hopefully give me the info I need to get you back your volume icon.

The whole process of installing - running - posting the report takes less than 5 minutes. But, you need to follow the instructions carefully. There aren't that many.

The program has been used for many years on all computer help forums.

Hey, Judy. HijackThis is one of a large number of reliable tools used to find problems that might be on a system. It's not really meant for average everyday users, but the experts here often request logs from their use.

Of course, it's up to you whether you would like to post the logs from HijackThis, etc., but it's safe to run the program, even though the name is a little out there I admit..

Volume Squared might be what you need, anyway. Phantom010 is just doing the routine for around here by requesting you run HijackThis. Don't know if you'd agree Phantom010, but the volume control is one of the peskiest little problems ever in XP. I have conquered every single problem known in that OS, but never that one. I'm confident Phantom010 can get it back for you, but I am just as confident it will disappear again unfortunately. That's why I decided to try V^2 myself LOL...

Jugk

Dear AltBO,
I tried to download the Volume 2 with your link,and Phantoms010 link, but it eighter dowloads a 7zip program or some photo editing program called Gimp. No Volume 2. There must be something wrong with the website at present. I do not quite understand what you mean and where it could be, when you say you have a portable version. Where is it if not on the computer? How can it controll the volume on the computer? Head phones?
Thanks, Judy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online