1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: taskbar problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wiltiny, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wiltiny

wiltiny Thread Starter

there's this problem with my taskbar, the quick launch area would resize by itself after the 3rd time i reboot my laptop, it's been pretty annoying and there'll be this mysterious "the language bar" appearing when i right click on the taskbar...

before this the problem was even more serious, now i can still resize it back, but before i couldn't even find the separator for the quick launch to resize it, thus all my opened programs won't be shown in the taskbar...i did a system restore and everything seemed to be fine, at least for a few days until this problem happened again, except at least i can still resize it for now

this is a screenshot

[​IMG]

this is another screenshot where i couldn't even resize the quick launch area and the opened windows weren't shown in the taskbar

[​IMG]

by the way i'm using a newly bought toshiba laptop, this problem seems to occur when i set a user password for the system, and seemed to be gone after i cleared the password, but now it occurs again and restoring my system to an earlier point doesn't seem to help now

so anybody please help, thanks in advance

2. Augie65

Augie65

Run this fix for the minimized programs missing. Might be other fixes you can use here.
    You can try this fix for the settings change. Go to kelly's-korner and scroll to line 30 Windows XP Doesn't Save User Settings. Instructions to run regedits at top of web page.

3. wiltiny

wiltiny Thread Starter

i have downloaded the taskbar repair tool earlier, it does fix the problem, but only for that session, after i restart my laptop, the same problem occurs again...
    and for the registry settings thingie i don't really know how to work it, don't seem to find the subkey to modify for the systray.exe, whereas for the nosavesettings it is 00000000
    hmm, anybody help? it's gone from bad to worse now, i don't see the minimized programs everytime i restart my laptop

4. wiltiny

wiltiny Thread Starter

hmm i seem to have solved the problem, i uninstalled my norton antivirus and installed avast antivirus, no more such nuisance, cool and weird..

5. Dan O

Dan O

It is a common problem with some antivirus software. I will mark your thread solved.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice