1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: TBird "Play this sound when new mail arrives" fails

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Alex Ethridge, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Using Windows 7 Ultimate and Thunderbird 17. This has been a persistent problem at least since TBird 10 and maybe longer.

I have three e-mail addresses that TBird collects mail for every four minutes. I have my global settings set to play a the old GOTMAIL.WAV that I robbed from an old AOL account. It plays it sometimes and sometimes not. I suspect it is playing it for one of the three accounts and not the other two and I haven't figured out which one.

The GOTMAIL.WAV is a global setting in the Tools> Options menu so it should work for all accounts.

Any suggestions?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Makes no sense to me as I don't see an option for specific accounts. It should be to all accounts. I will play with it later tonight.

3. Alex Ethridge

I just did some test mails from one mail identity to another and it is inconsistent on the same identity. Sometimes I get the WAV and sometimes not on the same account.

For a recently-developed reason that may or may not last a long time, I really need to know immediately when these mails come in.

4. hewee

hewee

You think maybe other profiles are the reason.

I have TB so any profile can get to the same TB account.

I am not talking about each TB account profile but computer profile that we know each have there own setting.
    That mean anything buggy can happen like your seeing because your getting data from each PC profile, Registry, Etc.

Also if this is new. Reboot the PC and it may go away.

5. Alex Ethridge

It's not making sense. I was sitting here typing away at POF.com and a message came in with the desired announcement WAV. I'm working on typing more and more and I checked my mail in TBird and there were two more messages that had come in several minutes apart to the SAME e-mail address and there was NO wav.

If I hadn't maximized TBird and looked, I would not have known they came in.

6. Alex Ethridge

I know there are other e-mail clients out there that are free; but, I'm thinking about loading up another client not necessarily to use but to simply play the wav when a new mail arrives.

What other clients out there will allow me to define my own wav alert?

I've tried Windows Live Mail; but, it will not allow me to define my own wav.

7. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Alex: Are the accounts IMAP or POP?
    Are they set as separate accounts (each with it's own Inbox, Sent, etc) or are they coming in to the Global account (Local folders Inbox)?

8. Alex Ethridge

IMAP and each have their own set of boxes.

9. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

IMAP's the problem. It's a "bug" that's been around as long as Thunderbird 3 and it's never been fixed.
    There is a workaround that's solved it for most people.
    You need to install "Growl for Windows" and also the "Growl for Thunderbird extension".
    That combination seems to handle notifications using a different method than the normal notifications and bypasses the bug.

Alternatively, you can switch the accounts to POP and as long as you aren't using the Global account for them (that sometimes causes a similar, but different "bug"), the notification system gets triggered by the biff-state of each individual account's Inbox.

10. Alex Ethridge

Thanks for the information.

POP seems to have its own set of problems on the FutureQuest mail server. I preferred POP and set it up first but was not able to download some messages on rare occasions. Several people in this forum and in the FutuerQuest forums advised me that POP was outdated and that I should switch to IMAP. I did and I have not had any problems downloading since the switch. But then came the notifications problem.

It really ticks me off that developers can let a problem like this remain pervasive for so long.

I'll see if I can find the two "Growl" things you recommended.

11. Alex Ethridge

12. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

13. Alex Ethridge

Thanks, it looks like the problem is solved. Only problem is that if it gets three messages at once, it announces three times, eight messages, eight times. Weird.

14. hewee

hewee

Don't let the spammers find out or your have to unplug the speakers. :p

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice