1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: TCP/IP printing for Windows ME / 98

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by onedavester, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onedavester

onedavester Thread Starter

Greetings,

Anyone got a utility (or solution) to enable ME and 98 to have TCP / IP printing? I am trying to setup a network capable printer on Win ME that doesn't have software for this, like most decent companies have, ie HP, Dell, Etc....

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Sounds like you might need a print server.

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

No you don't -

You can do 2 things - either find an old copy of HP JetAdmin (don't confuse it with HP Web JetAdmin the reason the JetAdmin got a face lift and a new name to the next suggestion) OR you can use HP install network printer wizard.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/en/en/network_software/install_overview.html

These will allow Windows 98 to print to an IP address directly. Also note this works on some non HP print servers as well.

4. onedavester

Thank you S.T. I will let you know if it works. BTW Candy, installing a print server isn't always a realistic solution for SOHO networks. But thanks for your input.

I have used this utility before but didn't consider using it on another Manufacturer's hardware.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I just bought a cheapie ethernet print server.

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

NP another tool might be this if the HP one does not work -

http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/axis/setup.exe

It's called Axis print monitor - the main site requires a login this is a hosted alternative and allows you to print to TCP/IP as well.

The problem is anything under W2K does not have native TCP/IP printing so really as long as you can get the clients to talk over TCP/IP most print servers use the same ports. If you tell me make and model I can verify the ports it needs but usually 9100 will be the port you print on.

Now I do want to note to you that not ALL network print servers that communicate on TCP/IP communicate on the 9100 port openly. Some require software to be loaded on the client side and you cannot just do an IP assignment on the PC side and think it will work. (I think it was a netgear print server I saw that I could not for the life of me get to print except with the infernal network printing software they supplied and when I called their support they had less knowledge of TCP/IP than I do and most of them would have thought when I said port it meant a drink)

7. onedavester

I actually have the Axis software but I did not think of trying it out. It usually prints RAW on port 9902.

8. onedavester

Thank you for all your help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice