1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ? Tea Timer in Spybot S&D

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Cinders, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Hello

Should Tea Timer be enabled in Spybot S&D 1.3??

Thanks for advice

Cinders :)

2. Deke40

Deke40

I think most people have it activated. Be aware it does take some resourses when running in the back ground.

Here is a good description of TeaTimer:

ResidentTeaTimer Tools
    What is the Resident TeaTimer?

The Resident TeaTimer is a new tool of Spybot-S&D which perpetually monitors the processes called/initiated. It immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them giving you some options how to deal with this process in the future: You can set TeaTimer to:

- be informed, when the process tries to start again
    - automatically kill the process
    - or generally allow the process to run There is also an option to delete the file associated with this process.

In addition, TeaTimer detects, when something wants to change some critical registry keys. TeaTimer can protect you against such changes again giving you an option: You can either "Allow" or "Deny" the change. As TeaTimer is always running in the background, it takes some resources of about 5 MB.

3. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Thanks Deke,

So, in settings,
    would the best setting be to:-

'Automatically kill the process'

and if I am reading correctly is it safest:-

to always 'Deny' a change.

Sorry to appear dim but I don't want to cause problems by giving the wrong instruction/setting.

Thank you for your help

Cinders

4. Deke40

Deke40

So far the only notifications I have got were the ones on a registry change and I usually allow it as I initiated the change by some action I took, if not I deny it.

If I get one as you suggested I would probably use the "be informed, when the process tries to start again" as TeaTimer first action is to kill the process the first time it is detected trying to start. This means the next time it comes up you make the decision what to do with it based on you knowledge of the particular item detected.

Sometimes a program like TeaTimer is not infallible so I like to have some control if possible over it's actions.

5. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Thanks Deke

Regards

Cinders

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice