1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Teamviewer

Discussion in 'General Security' started by raybro, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

What is the general opinion relative to security risks of using Teamview to remotely perform maintenance activities on a friends computer over the internet?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

depending on the Operating systems of the computers why not just use the provided remote desktop connection

It is usually very easy
    Using Remote Assistance via saving a file

This section shows how to initiate a Remote Assistance invitation by saving the request as a file. This allows you to use Remote Assistance via Web-based e-mail such as Hotmail or other similar services.

In this scenario, user Jon Grande initiates the same request as explained above.
    1. Jon clicks Start, clicks Help and Support, and under the Ask for assistance heading, he clicks Invite a friend to connect to your computer with Remote Assistance. The Remote Assistance page appears as shown in Figure 7 below.
      [​IMG]
      Figure 7: Inviting someone to help you
    2. Jon clicks Invite someone to help you and selects Save Invitation as a file.
    3. Jon enters his message and clicks Continue.
    4. The Save File dialog box appears and Jon is prompted to save the file in his My Documents folder as shown in Figure 8 below.
      [​IMG]
      Figure 8: Saving the Remote Assistance file
    5. Jon opens his Hotmail e-mail, attaches the file from his My Documents folder and sends the message to Cynthia Randall.
    6. Cynthia opens Jon's message, saves the attached file to her My Documents folder and opens it. The Remote Assistance Invitation box appears as shown in Figure 9 below.
      [​IMG]
      Figure 9: Accepting the Remote Assistance request
    7. Cynthia enters the password and clicks Yes.
      Note: Paul will have needed to let Cynthia know what the password is in a separate communication such as a phone call or secure e-mail. Typically, users should relay the password via a phone call.
    8. The Attempting to Start Remote Assistance Session with Paul West box appears. Cynthia is able to begin Remote Assistance as explained in the previous example.
    WHEN he ends you the invitation file, he must also send you the password, which is NOT the password he users for windows - as the invitation file does not include the password

IT MAY be necessary to enable port forwarding in his router/modem
    Many these days actually list Windows Remote as allowed applications, otherwise it is port 3389

Re TeamViewer I have no knowledge of it I have used Remote Desktop on a number of occasions, last just yesterday.
    I personally would not even contemplate using other software when windows provides the adequate solution.

On the computer for the person sending the invite to you he determines how long the Remote session is allowed for etc, it is all self explanatory, as each window opens, when following the guide

Finally
    I think we have worked together before have we not? HNY for 2013
    I know you did not in any way suggest that it was assistance as a member of this site to someone using the site, as you said a friend. However may I take the precaution of telling you that assistance on TSG is not allowed other than in the forums - not by PM or email or by Remote Desktop.
    Hope you do not mind me metioning that

3. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks for responding, Macboatmaster. Appreciate the information. I was not aware of the Remote Assistance feature in Windows. I have, however, already installed Teamviewer in both my XP and Win 8 laptops, so I think I'll stick with that unless something comes up about security which prompts me in another direction. So far, I've had nothing except positive input about the program's security.

Regarding this comment..
    Be assured I am not violating any forum rules. The remote capability simply allows me access to the computers of a number of friends and family on which I run occasional spyware and virus scans and perhaps a general cleanup (temp files, Recycle Bin, etc.). I would never consider accessing the computer of someone other than that small group.

Lastly... No, I do not mind in the least you mentioning it. And HNY to you also.

4. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

I have used Teamviewer for years on several relatives and friend's computers. Neither I nor any of the owners of the remote computers have ever had any security issues. Like remote desktop, one must have the remote computer's owner on the phone to give a password that is newly generated each time the Teamviewer is started.

I like how simple and and idiot proof it is for computer illiterate people to get started and get you logged in and I like all the options it provides for "handling" the remote computer once you are logged into it.

5. Macboatmaster

LauraMJ

Thanks from me
    Never used it always used Remote Desktop with invitation by email, handy to know of it, for the user who cannot work out the settings for remote desktop within Windows.
    Will try it now so I can see the benefit of the options

Happy New year

6. Macboatmaster

raybro
    As I said I have no knowledge of the program Teamviewer
    I have had a look at it now
    It, as my colleague LauraMJ said; and she is indeed far more knowlegable than me in security matters, seems very secure.

The only point I would make is having now read up on it - ensure you use the latest version
    TeamViewer 8.0.16642

19 ‎December ‎2012, ‏‎19:32:08

and ensure you always keep it up to date, as I see that in July last year an update was issued for security reasons

Version History of TeamViewer 7.0.13989

Date Released: 16 July, 2012
    • Bugfix release. This is a highly recommended security update

7. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks to Macboatmaster and LauraMJ for their responses to my inquiry. I'm getting more comfortable with the program with all this expert input.

I'll mark this thread "Solved"

8. Macboatmaster

Regards
    See you around the forums -

9. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Another thing I like about it. They are continuously updating it and monitoring it and keeping it up to date for modern threats.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice