1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: TeaTimer.exe

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by evets59, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. evets59

evets59 Thread Starter

Every time I attempt to shut down, I get a message that TeaTimer.exe is not responding and I have to end the program manually. I found TeaTimer in two file locations: C/Windows/Prefetch/TEATIMER.EXE-0390E8A7.pf and in Programs/Spybot Search and Destroy/Updates/teatimer.exe. Are these two separate programs? How can I get TeaTimer.exe to end properly at shutdown? Do I need to delete it/them?

2. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

reinstall Spybot Search & Destroy, if ths doesn't solve the problem, here's a workaround:

get Startup Control Panel and disable the TeaTimer.

what is the TeaTimer?

3. evets59

evets59 Thread Starter

Not sure what TeaTimer is for. I believe it has something to do with detecting malicious files.

4. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

yep, and it's a component of Spybot S&D, not crucial tho. can be disabled in Startup.

did you reinstall spybot?

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG, then click OK - "Startup" tab.

Uncheck the entry that pertains to TeaTimer, then click Apply - OK - Restart.

When the small SCU window appears on the desktop during restart, check it and then click OK.

That should eliminate the error message with TeaTimer, which isn't needed anyway and is prone to causing problems - which you've discovered.

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. evets59

evets59 Thread Starter

Thanks for suggestions. I tried both of them and they were both effective. I first disabled TeaTimer and was then able to shut down without a problem. Then, reinstalled Spybot making TeaTimer active again, and was again able to shut down without problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/745068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice