Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Technical Problem 2nd hard drive installation problem

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  LJSilver 
#1 ·
Hi Guys I have just installed a second hard drive to my system, and upon reboot a black screen appears advising “ no boot device detected” In the BIOS the boot order has changed to (1) Floppy. (2) Lan, (3) Lan, (4) Lan. In the CMOS splash screen upon start-up no drives are recognised, displaying NONE for all. My system is a Dell Dimension 2350 P.4 running XP sp3. 1GB RAM. In this installation setup I have an 80GB HDD set to Master jumper setting and a 20GB HDD ( 2nd HDD) set to Slave.
Prior to the installation of the 2nd HDD the 80GB booted OK, and the BIOS settings were (1) Floppy (2) Hard Disc (3) CD ROM (4) Lan.
One thing I should mention this system has just come back from a computer shop where I had XP sp3 installed due to a mishap on the original Hdd which destroyed the Operating system. The XP sp3 system which came back from the shop had Acronis True Image installed on it? I was going to clone the new system to my 20 GB using my own Acronis software, as a backup, because I would not have a disc to recover to if anything went wrong in the future. Anyone got any ideas on this puzzle, or diagnostic ability. All help welcomed.
LJSilver

#4 ·
Sounds like either the drivers are jumpered or cabled wrong or that booting from a HDD has been disbaled in the BIOS. If you disconnect the second drive does the system boot?
Thanks , upon rechecking, I swopped the HDD cable and it worked OK , booted up showing all drives. It also indicated 2nd HDD on the windows desktop on the master 80GB drive. Thanks again,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.