1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: technicians had no idea what was going on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hlepme84, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hlepme84

hlepme84 Thread Starter

i have win 2000 an dsl connection. for sumreason 2 days ago i was using the comp and the ie window closed out. i tryed opening it again an page could not be displayed. an the internet light on the modem was off. so i called versizon technicians an they were puzzled. the guy figured that it was an older model modem they sent which was 1 that would sleep an wouldnt come back on so they sent a new 1 today. i hooked it all up. called verizon told them the light was still out. they were gonna send a new 1 again after i called 3 com an made sure it wasnt my ethernet card that was messed up. but i told them before i hung up the phone that right when it stopped working i restarted the comp an when it came to the desktop avg detected about 2 virus's. an they told me that the virus's could be stopping me from receiving.

so i did a virus scan then deleted then spybot then adware restarted the comp and tryed the numbers in the address bar they been having me do for the past 2 days ive been calling an it finally work.

they think either it was the virus's that was causing this. but most likely the ethernet card is fading.

is there a way i can check an see if my card is going bad? or do i need to take it to a technician?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    When the words "went to sleep" and "fading" are used I'd be pretty sceptical of anything that person said.

Also there are usually several lights on a modem and they're for different things. You'll need to find out what that light means; ie. power, DSL line, ethernet/USB connection. Depending on what light went out it can mean differeent things. Also note that if the ethernet cable or phone line is damaged, which is a common occurance, one of the lights may go out as a connection gets lost to the ISP or computer.

If the everything is working right now then wait and see what happens. Its not uncommon for a virus to spyware to disable an internet connection because of its activities.

3. hlepme84

hlepme84 Thread Starter

it was the internet light that went out

an also an error came up with the virus's detection. sumthing about newdotnet.
    ne1 know what the heck that is?

i did a hjt scan but only removed newdotnet cuz i had no idea what it was an there was an error about it.

4. brindle

brindle

5. hlepme84

hlepme84 Thread Starter

oops sry thoguth u were asking me to find out what ie means.

6. hlepme84

hlepme84 Thread Starter

so was it newdotnet that was causing all this?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    NewDotNet is a very nasty piece of software that can mess up a computer really easily so it could cause a problem. Doesn't really explain why the light went out on the modem though; I guess it could corrupt the network settings to that point but I'm not sure. This Internet light, you have to be more specific. Is it the DSL connection light or the LAN/Computer light?

Again if it works then don't worry about it but it it happens again I would be checking the cables from the computer to the modem and the modem to the phone jack depending on what the light signifies.

8. hlepme84

hlepme84 Thread Starter

this is the modem i have. lights go starting from left: power, e1, e2, e3, e4, wireless, dsl, then internet. the first light on the right went off.

[​IMG]

an it said on that link in the site u posted brindle that newdotnet piggybacks on other stuff ur dling from the net?
    if so i think it was this screensaver i was dling, it was a matrix screensaver, then that when the comp stopped working an i got an error on newdotnet

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oh, that may be the activity light which would go out if the computer stopped recieving/transmitting. Which something like Newdotnet could account for.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice