1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Telnet in IE8

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wa0goz, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wa0goz

wa0goz Thread Starter

I'm running a Dell 2.8GHz, 3G RAM, WinXP Pro SP2

I just upgraded to IE8 from IE6. I can't telnet from IE8 while I could from IE6.
    Does anyone have a solution to telneting from IE8?

Thanks

Henry [email protected]

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. wa0goz

wa0goz Thread Starter

I've been there. The solutions are for Vista and IE7.

Thanks

Henry

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

What's wrong with using a real client?

5. wa0goz

wa0goz Thread Starter

A real client is just an extra program. I could telnet with IE6 and had the location in my favorites so
    just one click got me to where I wanted to go. I'd like to continue that.

Henry

6. Squashman

The initial question was for IE7 and XP.
    The title of the thread says IE7 and IE8 which leads me to believe it may work. Did you try the instructions.

7. wa0goz

wa0goz Thread Starter

Yes I did try that and it didn't work. I also tried a registery hack suggested and a .reg file that was posted.
    None of them worked. I think it's because they were all for IE7. The registery hack was:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
    Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_DISABLE_TELNE T_PROTOCOL

DWORD Name = iexplore.exe
    DWORD Valure = 0(Zero)

There is no FEATURE_DISABLE_TELNE T_PROTOCOL in IE8 and when I created one it wouldn't let me
    put in a DWORD Name.

Henry

8. Squashman

If you have admin rights you can create anything you want in the Registry. You didn't do something correctly if it is not letting you create it.

9. wa0goz

wa0goz Thread Starter

I could create HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
    Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_DISABLE_TELNE T_PROTOCOL

The result was a {default} for the name and when I right clicked on it the "rename"
    was greyed out. When I right clicked on the space by it, my only choice was
    "DWORD Value". I tried putting zero in that but since there was no DWORD Name
    it did no good. I left it that way and tried to telnet from IE8 and it wouldn't work.

This is what I was supposed to do.

DWORD Name = iexplore.exe
    DWORD Valure = 0(Zero)

Thanks for hanging in with me.

Henry

10. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Actually, you aren't actually using IE for telnet, it just calls the built in client so you are using a real client. It is an easier way to start the telnet client though.

There should not be a space in the word TELNET in the Registry Key name, the forum editor must have added that on the other site; happens here as well on lines longer than 75 characters that do not contain a space. That my be why it didn't work for you.
    And the wording can be confusing. You create a new Dword value (the DWORD Name part) which contains Data (the DWORD Value part).
    You can't rename the Default value.
    You right click in the right pane, point to New, click Dword value. A new Name will appear named New Value #1. Should already be highlighted ready to rename. Then name that new item iexplore.exe. You then double click it and set it to zero, though it should already be zero.

It does work for IE8.

I took an XP SP2 box with IE6, installed IE8, added the registry key, rebooted, and Telnet works fine. I did get a prompt asking
    Do you want to allow this website to open a program on your computer? You can uncheck the box so you won't be prompted for Telnet:// addresses again.

You can copy the text in the following code block into Notepad, save it as a .reg file (Be sure to change the Save as Type box to All Files) and double click to create the entry. I've included a line to remove the one with the extraneous space if it exists.
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_DISABLE_TELNE T_PROTOCOL]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_DISABLE_TELNET_PROTOCOL]
    "iexplore.exe"=dword:00000000

My telnet shell command already had the rundll32 part. That the website linked above doesn't have the correct value though. It should include the full path as that makes it harder for malware to interfere:
    Code:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\telnet\shell\open\command]
    @="\"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\rundll32.exe\" \"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\url.dll\",TelnetProtocolHandler %l"

Note that the last character is actually a lowercase letter L, not the number 1.
    If your Windows folder is not on C: or is named something else, you'd need to modify that to match your system, or use this version which uses the %Systemroot% variable instead of hard coding the path:
    Code:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\telnet\shell\open\command]
    @=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,72,00,6f,00,6f,\
      00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,\
      72,00,75,00,6e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,\
      00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,72,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,00,\
      5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,75,00,72,00,6c,\
      00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,54,00,65,00,6c,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,50,00,\
      72,00,6f,00,74,00,6f,00,63,00,6f,00,6c,00,48,00,61,00,6e,00,64,00,6c,00,65,\
      00,72,00,20,00,25,00,6c,00,00,00

HTH

Jerry

11. wa0goz

wa0goz Thread Starter

I did exactly as you said, step by step, and it worked. When I tried it before I realized there shouldn't be a space
    in the word TELNET and so I made the key without the space. My problem was I wasn't smart enough
    to realize how to get the DWORD in because when I right clicked I only got "DWORD VALUE" not "DWORD NAME" and
    didn't know enough to use that to put in the name. When I did as you suggested and then double clicked on it
    the DWORD VALUE was 0.

When I go to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\telnet\shell\open\command] this is what I get:

rundll32 url.dll,TelnetProtocolHandler %l

It's not like your's but the telnet now works from IE8 so I guess that's all that matters.

Thank you for your guidance.

Henry

12. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You're Welcome!

Just one of many inconsistencies in wording to confuse us all.

No need to change the other one if it's working.

If your issue has been resolved you (and ONLY you) can mark this thread Solved by using the Mark Solved button at the Top Left of this thread (above the first post) :)

[​IMG]

Jerry

13. Squashman

Thanks Jerry for working on that! Knew you would get to the bottom of it.

14. wa0goz

wa0goz Thread Starter

TheOutcaste

You wrote in the Telnet IE8 thread:

>My telnet shell command already had the rundll32 part. That the website linked above doesn't have the correct value though. >It should include the full path as that makes it harder for malware to interfere:

Even though I can now Telnet from IE8, thanks to you, does the above mean I should change my [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\telnet\shell\open\command] to the one you have for security reasons?

If so will you guide me through it please? Do I erase mine and just put in what you have in yours?

Thanks

Henry

15. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Here's the difference. In this line
    rundll32 url.dll,TelnetProtocolHandler %l
    only the file names (rundll32 and url.dll) are specified. This means Windows has to search for the files. The path to some files is specified in another part of the registry. If it is not found there, Windows then searches the Current folder (the one the current program started from usually), then searches the path statement.
    A typical path statement looks like this:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

So in this case rundll32 and url.dll will be found in C:\WINDOWS\system32 as they should.

If the path statement gets deleted, it won't be able to find the files. Another possibility is if a program adds a folder to the start of the statement, it can put a file with the same name as a Windows file and it will be found first.
    Example, if a program adds C:\MyStuff to the path, and there is a rundll32.exe file in there, it will be run instead of the Windows file:
    C:\MyStuff;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

So specifying the full path avoids those two issues.
    To change yours, copy the text in the last code box in post #10 into Notepad, save it as a .reg file on your desktop (Be sure to change the Save as Type box to All Files) and double click to create the entry.

This will change the entry in the registry to this:
    Code:
    %Systemroot%\system32\rundll32.exe %Systemroot%\system32\url.dll,TelnetProtocolHandler %l
    %Systemroot% is a variable that will expand to the drive and folder name of the folder that contains the Windows system files, usually C:\Windows

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/905579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice