1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Temp files won't delete

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by moonifa, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moonifa

moonifa Thread Starter

I didn't think I would asking for help again so soon but this is a new one on me. Hope someone has the answer! :)
    I routinely clean my hard drive and I usually do it manually as I am not happy with disk clean up utility. (I have Windows98SE).
    Last night when I went into my Temporary Internet Files folder, there were two entries that would not delete. They were identical and read as follows:
    http://code.newsclicker.com/fast/market.txt

Now if I tell it to delete from the menu it does nothing. Also if I right click and select delete from the drop down menu, it does nothing. If I try to open it, I get the warning: "Running a system command on this item might be unsafe. Do you wish to continue?

Timid me always says no, although the properties is telling me it is a simple 1KB text file.
    I recently downloaded Ad-ware and No Ads which are both working beautifully and I recognize the newsclicker as spyware/popup ad.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this? Would it cause a problem if I persisted on opening the file? A big thanks to all you who have helped me in the past and I sure hope you can do it again!:D Moonifa

2. mtbird

mtbird

Go to start>shut down. Click on restart in MS DOS mode. At the C:\WINDOWS> prompt, type in...

smartdrv (hit enter)
    deltree /y tempor~1 (hit enter)

After it is done deleting, type in exit or hit your ctrl/alt/del to restart your computer.

This will delete your TIF folder and it will be recreated once you reboot.

Debe

3. moonifa

moonifa Thread Starter

Thanks mtbird!! Worked like a charm. What little I knew I have pretty much forgotten, but I never did learn about smartdrv or related commands.
    By the way, the tbird part doesn't refer to a love of Thunderbirds does it? Just curious. My husband and I each have one. :cool:
    Anyway, thanks for you knowledge and expertise! Moonifa

4. mtbird

mtbird

Glad we could help :)
    Although I love T birds......mine refers to my parrot "matey" :)

Debe

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice