1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: the "all programs" list

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by el_savagejt, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. el_savagejt

el_savagejt Thread Starter

Hey,

How ya doin'?

Would you please tell me how I might remove a program from my "all programs" list without inadvertently deleting it altogether from my computaire? For example, there's a theme I downloaded which somehow ended up in "the list" (it's not spyware), and while (because it rules) I would like to keep the theme, I don't want it clogging up space in "all programs".

thanks a lot,

Jim

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Right mouse on the Start Button, Explore All Users.
    Browse through All Programs, select and delete the entry.
    It is just a shortcut.

As for "clogging" up, you could rearrange your "All Programs" by categories (folders) like Games, Utilities, Miscellanea and then just drag/drop the theme into the Miscelleana folder.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

Right click on the item and select Delete . . it should then advise that you are deleting a shortcut . .

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

:) Love those shortcuts!! Fact & Pun intended.

5. 1101doc

1101doc

The size of the colums in all programs is determined by the length of the longest name. Shorten the names listed-narrow the width of the columns.

6. el_savagejt

1101doc,

Not so. The dialog asks if I'm sure I want to move the theme folder and all it's contents to the recycle bin. No thanks. 'Been down that road before.

7. el_savagejt

WhitPhil,

I hear what you're saying, but when I tried to delete the "shortcut" a dialog asked if I was sure I wanted to move the theme's folder and all its contents to the recycle bin. No. However, as for your second suggestion, just how do you do that?

Thanks a lot,

Jim

8. 1101doc

1101doc

I think that we are all missing something. Elsavagejt- are you working in the actual "All Programs" folder of your profile or the pop-up All Programs of the Start menu. I believe that we all have been referring to the latter. The Start Menu listings are shortcuts.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The Start menu is nothing more than a folder. You can open it in Windows Explorer and drag and drop shortcuts to whatever folders you'd like. You can also rename shortcuts and folders and create new ones.

If you don't want this theme to appear in the Start Menu, then delete the shortcut. You're not deleting the program. However, if you want to open the application (if there's a configuration piece), then you need to make note of where the executable is actually located so you can run it later.

I suggest just re-arranging your Start Menu so you don't have a huge long list of items.

10. el_savagejt

Hey Wow!

Thanks a lot all of you. This is solved.

Jim

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!