1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] The Dreaded Blue Screen & Freezes

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by fiatspider79, Nov 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fiatspider79

fiatspider79 Thread Starter

Got an old Pentium 100 with 104 MB RAM on a Cable Network Connection. Works fine when it works.
    About a week ago I started getting "Blue Screen" errors (most with VXD VMM(1)+ in them. They got more and more frequent.
    I reloaded Win98 and then Win98SE. Did not touch IE 6. No luck, it just got worse alternating blue screens with freeze ups.
    I reformatted the C: drive and loaded Win98 and IE 4.0. When I tried to upgrade it went blue screen during set-up. Tried to load Norton SystemWorks. Same thing, blue screens or freezes during set-up. Ran Norton WinDoctor from CD. Said all was honkey-dorey. Could not run antivirus from Norton CD. Tried antivirus from www.pcpitstop.com and it would freeze befor reporting results. After a week it ran and reported, no virus. I can not load Word97 but I did manage to load Family Tree Maker and I downloaded both zip and ftp machines and both loaded and work. Family Tree Maker v. 5.0 is there but will not accept new data. My start up file contains: ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mstask.exe
    I even reset my BIOS to defalt settings. I can browse the web and use web email with no problems. I just can't update anything or load new stuff. I know that I am doing something very stupid and probably simple. I am just too dumb to know what it is. HELP.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

fiatspider79
    Welcome to TSG!
    This is just a stab in the dark but here is my guess. You may be dealing with a bad section of RAM. When you reformatted you removed any virus possiblilities and should of had a fresh OS.
    You have Norton utilities on disk. Why not try and run its hardware test against the Ram using the memory test and see the outcome. You could also try using Simtester if your system will accept a download. Click Here for simtester it is still free.
    That is all I can think of, maybe others will have ideas.
    Dave

3. beach51

beach51

Hi fiatspider79,Well you know how us lower slower delawareans are!!!!!hahhaha.Welcome to TSG neighbor.I agree with Dave i think it might be a ram problem.

4. fiatspider79

Ran the SimmChecker and it says the memory is OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK. I guess you get the idea.
    After checking I tried to load Norton again and got further than ever before the screen went black, it re-booted and then scolded me for not shutting down correctly.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Simmtester is helpful but I wouldn't rule out bad ram just because it passes the software test. You should also try swapping out a stick at a time as a more thorough test.

It certainly looks like you have a hardware problem some place. If not bad ram, overheating maybe?

And what are some of the exact error messages you are getting?

6. fiatspider79

These two are typical of the error messages I am getting

Fatal Expection OE 0028:C0006E61 in VXD VMM(01) + 00005E61

Fatal Exception OE 0028:C0008264 in VXD VMM(01) + 00007264

I'll log some more.

Lately, however it just flashes blue and then goes black where it freezes. It only responds to a single finger salute to the on/off switch.

I did add new memory recently but the problems started before the new SIMMs went in (I thought more memory might help).

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If the problems started before adding new memory, that does not rule out the old memory being bad if that stick is still in place. Try just one at a time. Make sure the contacts are clean and seated well.

8. fiatspider79

As you had suggested from the beginning, it was a bad memory SIMM. I now have less memory but at least I have a reliable computer. Thanks for all your help. :D

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It didn't dare be anything else, we were unanimous :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice