1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED THE HARD WAY] USB ports not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sylvestrer, Jan 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sylvestrer

sylvestrer Thread Starter

I have a Compaq desktop, Pentium 3, 96 MB Ram, running Win 98 SE. My problem is that I received a MP3 player for Christmas and need to use the USB ports on my Computer. The computer is nearly 4 years old. It came with two USB ports from the factory. I had the harddrive reformatted 1 1/2 years ago. I've never had the need to use the USB ports until now. They're not working. I know the MP3 player is OK, because my dtr's computer USB port works fine with it. I have been able to get to the USB properties window, and it tells me to download new drivers. I have done this several days and several times in the day. Then windows tells me I have the latest drivers. I have a yellow exclamation mark next to both USB ports in Device manager, I believe that means I have a conflict. I'm at the end of my computer knowhow and sure would appreciate some expert's help.
    Sylvia

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

When you had the hard drive reformatted, did you/they put the Compaq portion back on which allows you access to the bios setup? In other words, when the computer is restarting, can you press the F 10 and go into setup?

3. crabman

crabman Guest

GO INTO YOUR DEVICE MANAGER AND REMOVE THE USB ROOT HUB AND THE COMPOSIT DEVICE AND CLICK REFRESH.

4. sylvestrer

Sorry I didn't respond right away. For the past two days, I haven't been able to get into this site. I'm on ATT and everytime I clicked to get here, it would take me to the configurater page. It just now let me in. I could just screeeeeeeeammmmmm! OK, now back to my problem. I can get into BIOS using F10 at startup. I was able to switch the USB port to enable. That didn't change anything. I removed the drivers and restarted Windows. Windows found the new hardware and reinstalled the drivers. And I reinstalled the drivers with the software for the MP3 player. Again no change. Still have the yellow exclamation marks. I also checked my IRQ's. All of them are in use, 00-15. Some of them multiple times with duplicate items. In total I have 24 items of lines to the IRQ's. Now there is a port on the front of the tower not in use. It's for the use of a joystick. All the ports on the back of the tower are in use. I also have a scanner, printer and external firewall setup.
    OK that's it for now. I plan on leaving this page up on my computer, hopefully ATT won't screw with me again.
    Sylvia
    [email protected] :(

5. brianF

brianF

The site has been having problems for the last two days so it wasn't you.

Did you go into device manager and remove all usb references and reboot after you enabled the bios option?????

Please post a list of your irq's

go to start/run/type msinfo32 and press enter, left hand frame, hardware envirionment, click on it, choose irq's. You will see a list in the right hand frame. Go to the edit menu, choose select all, back to the edit menu, choose copy, then paste the list back into this thread.

6. sylvestrer

Yes, I did restart after enabling in BIOS and removing in DM. Thanks for this cool tip! (about copying)

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    3 10/100M PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    5 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    5 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    5 ESS SOLO-1 PCI AudioDrive
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    10 Texas Instruments OHCI IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    10 Diamond HomePNA & Ethernet Based Adapter
    11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    11 Lucent V90+DSL Modem
    11 S3 Inc. Savage4 GT 8MB BitFlip Engineering
    12 WheelMouse1 (PS/2)
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

7. brianF

brianF

I can honestly say I am not sure.

It's sharing with your sound card which can't be goot. One way to test it would be to move your sound card to another pci slot, it should force it to use another irq. Problem is you have too much already. Your video card is on 11 sharing with two other devices already and I am surprised your not having trouble, being it seems to be sharing with your dsl modem

Another thing would be to check with compaq for updated drivers for your chipset. Not knowing the specifics I can't say which ones. Generally the via 4 in 1's would do, but being your using a compaq I just don't know.

Somebody else should come along and have an idea.

8. sylvestrer

Thanks for helping anyway. I'll probably call my computer guy tomorrow. He's worth the money, I just don't have a lot of money. Was hoping I could get it going on my own. Plus I like to learn anything about the computer myself.:)

9. brianF

brianF

Well don't give up yet, someelse may reply with a good answer

10. LarryCore

LarryCore

Compaq - so your sound card and video card are probably all on the board, no way to move to another slot.

What is the full model number of the machine? Most likely the USB driver that 98 is putting in is the wrong one. Hopefully with the full model number we can track down the right one for you.

Oh - you send there is an exlamation point - if you double click on it what does it tell you is wrong? No resources? Not working?

11. brianF

brianF

thanks Larry

12. sylvestrer

Hi Larry,
    Full model number is Compaq Presario 5716.
    When I double click on the exclamation mark, I get another window that tells me that "NTKERN.vxd device loaders for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2)"
    It then tells me to update driver, which I do. Then it says that the best driver is already installed. It finds it in C:\WINDOWS\INF\USB.INF
    Sylvia
    [email protected]

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

14. sylvestrer

Hi AcaCandy,
    I tried reinstalling the drivers as in the first link. I wasn't able to do it in Safe mode. Safe mode didn't recognize my E,F,G drives. So i did it in regular mode. Seemed to go thru OK, restarted the computer. Same thing. No changes. I wasn't sure which drivers to go for at the second site. Don't have time today anymore to work on this. I work all day tomorrow, so won't be on the computer at all. I appreciate everyones input on my problem. I'll work on it more day after tomorrow, time permitting.
    Sylvia

15. sylvestrer

Called my computer guy today. He's going to look on the net for the drivers I need and get back to me. I'll post what happens. I did find out I had 2 USB ports on the back of the tower also. If I ever get them running I can use all sorts of new toys with 4 USB ports. Hehe.:cool:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice