1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: The laptop doesn't see Printer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kulafa, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kulafa

kulafa Thread Starter

I'm going to piggyback this thread since it pretty much describes my situation (Dell laptop Windows XP Professional). I had a pc, a laptop, and a wireless printer all working properly together. Printer stopped working for some reason. The solution at which I arrived was to remove the existing printer profile and add it fresh. That worked for the pc but not for the laptop. The laptop doesn't see it.

I've attached my ipconfig. TIA.

Edit: Removed attached file.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have moved your post to a thread of its own, even though you may have the same problem - the solution may be different and it will get confusing when we post suggestions on what to try to two different posters who may reply with two different outcomes

find out what IP the printer is using and then from the laptop try and ping the IP address

it maybe a firewall blocking - what firewall do you have on the laptop or ever had in the past ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ping Tests

Start> Run {search bar in Vista/W7}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
    Ping {plus the number thats shown for the printer IP }
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

3. kulafa

kulafa Thread Starter

Thanks for moving the post. Ping results below. Not sure about firewall.

I have tried entering that IP directly in the printer search before, but please tell me specifically how to do that to be clear it was done correctly.

Edit: Removed ping results. Ping was successful.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have edited and added the ping results directly into the post -much easier to read

as you can ping the other machine OK - i suspect its the firewll that maybe blocking

what do you have on the PC - Dell often supply a time trail firewall - Mcafee

5. kulafa

kulafa Thread Starter

I tried to install the printer using the IP address again by creating a new port. When it came to finding the driver, I realized the printer software was still installed. I installed it through the printer software successfully. Still wish I knew what caused it to stop working in the first place.

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll be back for more.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    (y) thanks for letting us know
    You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the page of the thread in the upper left corner. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice