1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: The Ol' Checksum Error...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EdNM68, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdNM68

EdNM68 Thread Starter

Howdy all.

I was having a hard time rebooting a computer the other day. Everytime I tried to power up, I got a series of beeps and the monitor was not displaying anything, it didn't even connect to the PC. I decided to reset my CMOS, seeing if this would help, and it was able to boot up, and I was able to see the display on the monitor.

The problem is, everytime I bootup, it states that there's a checksum error. I've gone in and taken a look around, and reset the clock. I'll be able to restart, but won't get a display and the num lock light stays on, even after powering down, at which time I have to unplug the power, then plug it back in.

I then reset the CMOS again, and have replaced the CMOS battery from a working computer and on the initial bootup I'll get the Checksum error. If I just bootup with the factory defaults, it boots up fine and goes into window. It's restarting the computer or powering down and back up again that's a problem.

Any suggestions?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice