1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: The old missing systray icons scenario again ...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by edjon2000, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. edjon2000

edjon2000 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jon
    Hi again all,

First of all here are my system specs:-
    =============================================================================
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2046 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 114486 MB, Free - 79476 MB; D: Total - 152625 MB, Free - 85490 MB; Z: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 265337 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., G41MT-D3
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled
    =============================================================================

Ok I'll keep this short

I had a full compliment of systray icons before I tried installing the Visual Web Developer 2010 essentials edition, well, after enduring almost three hours of waiting for the installaton to complete, which it did successfully and then deciding it wasn't for me and subsequently uninstalling it, I found that most of my usual systray icons had disappeared, specifically my volume control icon, remove usb device icon and HD audio icon disappeared, never to return.

I initially ran piriform's ccleaner's registry section to try to weed out the problem, didn't work, but my system boots quicker now :) then I trawled the web looking for solutions, most of the ones I found related to Vista and later the couple I found for XP were either very old or just plain inaccurate.

One solution that does work is to kill the explorer.exe process and then restart it (I have attached some images to demonstrate that) but, to be honest, I would prefer to have all the icons load at start-up I have tried the display UPNP turn-off option, does not work.

I did have a look around the forums but all of the posts are now expired.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

edit ... I just noticed that the Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2 is woefully inaccurate so I have also attached a corrected version of my system spec. if this helps the CPU is actually a dual-core processor running at 2.60 GHz per core.

Jon

Attached Files:

2. user22

user22 Banned

My suggestion would be to try a system restore to a point prior to installing.
    Visual Web Developer 2010 essentials edition

3. edjon2000

edjon2000 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jon
    Yes sorry for not getting back sooner

I have no System Restore Points prior to when I uninstalled VWD this is due it off my turning it off a while ago, because I have found, generally that it does nothing for these types of problems or most others at best it makes little difference, at worse it can mess up the system to such an extent that a full windows re-install is required, this happened to me a few years back on my old machine, at the time I was dual booting Windows XP and Linux, on this machine however I have only ever had Windows XP Pro 32-bit I did try out XP Pro 64-bit edition for a while but found too many compatibility problems so reinstalled the 32-bit version again from scratch, what ever this problem is, seems difficult to pin down there is a registry fix apparently but I have yet to find that, something to do with the trayNotify settings, the theory is that you delete those and Windows rebuilds them again on reboot.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

4. edjon2000

edjon2000 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jon
    I actually managed to solve the problem by changing to W7 so I am sure I will have a few more dumb questions about that OS in the Windows 7 forum, but thanks anyway

Jon

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!