Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

5K views 18 replies 2 participants last post by  bonk 
#1 ·
I was trying to back-up a file to CD using the CD Writer on my computer when I kept getting the message: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. Does anyone know what this means and how I can correct this situation? Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
bonk (AKA Han Solo), thanks for the replies. Question: how can I determine which channel my CD drive is connected to, i.e., the primary channel or the secondary channel. I have "messed around" with both primary and secondary channels but still get the same message, i.e., "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

#7 ·
bonk, I have a Primary IDE Channel, a Secondary IDE Channel and VIA Bus Master IDE Channel. In your above posting did you mean the Secondary IDE Channel? I just tried to back-up Quicken and got the same message. Yes, I have backed Quicken up before as well as other files.

#9 ·
bonk, in the instructions in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891894 that state:

On the Advanced Settings tab, in the Transfer Mode box for the device that represents your CD drive, click PIO Only. Typically, this device is Device 1. Then click OK.

In the Transfer Mode box there is nothing that represents the CD Drive?? In Advance Settings there is Device 0 and Device 1. Also, under Device type, there is "Auto Detection"
and it is "subdued" and not able to be changed??

Thanks again.

#11 ·
bonk, I just tried to PCOnPoint to clean any errors but was not able to because after scanning the drive, I got an error message saying that I needed to have Administrator privileges in order to proceed. Maybe I am no longer the "Administrator" for my computer which explains "You do not have access to this folder 'F:|'. See your administrator for access to this folder." message that I got and which I still get.

#14 ·
Yes, the drive plays CD's. I put the Quicken disk in the drive (that I had backed up before), went to My Computer, saw the drive, saw the Quicken folders and was able to open a file in with no problem. It appears that I am not able to "write" anything to a CD.

#18 ·
bonk, all of a sudden it's working! I don't know what corrected the situation. I did blow come compressed air into the CD tray slot and went back in and attempted to make sure that I was the administrator for this folder but I was able to backup Quicken again and backup a folder to another CD. Also, I did try a new CD but I did that yesterday and yesterday it didn't work. Oh well, at least now it's working, and I learned a little something about I/O problems and making myself Administrator of folders.

BTW, if you don't mind, would you check out a posting I made in the Windows XP forum re: the fact that I can't seem to get out of making everything that I print out in color? Thanks again for all of the good advise.

Referee07

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.