1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: The Rich Text Document is gone.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bush Lady, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bush Lady

Bush Lady Thread Starter

I don't have a Rich Text document to use when I want to open a new file. I have WordPerfect X3. But I don't have the disk to download the program again.

So all I can use is a text document or WordPerfect X3.

The Rich Text Document has been missing for a while now.

Is there something that I can download from Microsoft to get it back? I have been searching and can't find anything.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What do you mean "missing"? It is a format. If you want a new RTF document, all you need do is create it.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

4. Bush Lady

Bush Lady Thread Starter

I mean when I want to open a new file and use a Rich Text Document, it isn't on the list.

I still have old files in the rtf format. But I can't create a new file.

How do I get the rtf files back on the list?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you go to the File menu in your word program and choose "Save As.." then the rtf is no longer an option?

6. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

See my pasted link.

Elvandil I have Office 2007 professional plus and it is on mine.

Added 1507 12th Feb. Elvandil. Sorry I think I may have misunderstood. I have PM`d you with an apology. If I did.
    Macboatmaster

7. Bush Lady

Bush Lady Thread Starter

Exactly.

And Macboatmaster, I had tried that link before and all I got was a word document that is over 4000 KB's long.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Even Wordpad creates RTF documents. Can you create an RTF in Wordpad and then open it in your word processor? That would at least tell us if the program still decodes the format correctly.

What file types are still options? Are any others missing?

9. Bush Lady

Bush Lady Thread Starter

I can open the WordPerfect files, that don't have a picture in them, as a Wordpad. And they come up as a RTF document.

10. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

I think it has something to do with having the Windows Office products on the computer. I used to have the rich text format on my desktop right-click menu, until I installed the Office suite (powerpoint, excel, Word, etc.) Once I did that, the rtf wordpad was no longer on the right click menu.

There is, however, still a simple "text document" which is just the notepad. So if I want the Rich Text Format (which I agree is nicer than the simple notepad and yet simpler to use than Word) I click on the "text document" and then when that shows up on the desktop, I right-click and choose "rename" and then change the ".txt" part to ".rtf" (you generally are going to rename it anyway, right?) and it then becomes the Rich Text Format wordpad document again. :)

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are they RTF documents and is that correct, or are they not RTF and that is incorrect?

12. Bush Lady

Bush Lady Thread Starter

Yes they are.

13. Bush Lady

Bush Lady Thread Starter

I just tried it when I open a plain text document. Right click, there and open it as a word pad it then comes up as a rtf.

14. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

So, like on mine, it's there, it just gets replaced by WordPerfect like it does with MS Word. Those big, complicated word processors just love to bump out the little guy, don't they? :p

Does that work around work for you, then?

15. Bush Lady

Bush Lady Thread Starter

I works like you said. I use the text document as a stencil. From that I created a rtf. It works fine, but you have to make sure that you change the name of the file and the type of file from a txt, to a rtf.

Thanks.

:D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/902237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice