1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: The specifed path does not exisit

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Spacecowboy2005, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spacecowboy2005

Spacecowboy2005 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a user who everytime he tries to run an exe recieves the message
    "The specifed path does not exisit"

I've tried running Services.msc etc as well from Run and receive the same message.

I ran a XP repair install and this appeared to fix the problem. However the user has come back again with the same problem.

Short of fresh install (which i really don't want to have to do) does anyone have any ideas

Cheer guys

2. Amien

Amien

Is he running it as a shortcut from the desktop and maybe has changed the path of the file by moving it from one folder to another in Explorer.
    This did happen once before to me. Locate the .exe file in explorer and run it directly from there, and if it works then send that to desktop and try to run again.

3. Spacecowboy2005

No this isn't the case.
    Even programes in control pannel report this error.
    Cheers

Tom

4. Amien

Amien

Then I would say that some or other file is corrupt. In this case I would first try to uninstall the last installation done - if you suspect the installation program. And then try again without the said installation. Second I would system restore to previous time when everything was still working.

My solution may not be the only solution. If all else fails you've nothing to lose by restoring a previous version. TRY!!!

5. Spacecowboy2005

I've tried those steps before.
    If you look at my orginal post i've even performed a repair intallation which should have sorted out any coruption?!

Cheers

6. Spacecowboy2005

Seemed to have solved this problem by booting into safe mode and then restarting as normal.
    But now (from time to time) explorer fails on startup. And other programs defined to run at startup fail.
    Very strange!!
    Looks like i'll have to perform a clean install.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice