1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "the system cannot find the file specified usb format" usb flash drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sotos1480, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sotos1480

sotos1480 Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
    here is my problem.I recently turned my usb into bootable usb in order to run chrome os,everything was ok untill i needed my usb to transfer some files so when i plugged it in while running windows 7 a box popped up to format it i clicked ok,then i noticed the usb from 8 giga showed up as 1 giga in my computer.I opened disk management and saw that it was cutted down in many partitions, i deleted some of them so i would expand it in one partition,at that point my trouble began,the expand option was greyed out,i tried diskpart and delete the partitions there.After that the drive lost its assign letter and showed up as one partition in disk management but in my computer it was invisible,i tried other guides that use diskpart and i download some programs to fix this with no luck.when i tried to format or assign letter from disk management i get this message "the system cannot find the file specified usb format".I tried to plug the usb in my roomates laptop with the same resaults so i dont think its my drivers or laptop problem.I hope you can help me tnx in advance and sorry for my bad english..

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. sotos1480

sotos1480 Thread Starter

Ok i fixed the problem.my mane consern was that my flash drive didnt had a letter assighned and programs like this could not find it.after many tries with different programs like that i found one program(dont remeber the name now i am from a diferrent computer i will edit later)that made the drive visible again but not with its full capacity but that was all i wanted, i had all the programs including the one mumbodog mension that did the trick and restore its full size.

anyway ty for the answear mumbodog

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1046981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice