Solved: "The system could not log you on....."

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shelley

This is my daughter's ex-PC which has a few minor problems I'm trying to resolve so I can use it. Until now I've been logging on to it under her old profile (she used autologon, missing the logon page). I decided to rename the profile and use a password for security.

I now get a dialogue at boot which begins, "Logon Message : The system could not log you on....." It doesn't do anything. The profile logon page is behind and pressing any key makes the message go away.

I've got a little familiar with the Registry Editor of late and I can see that in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion/WinLogon the DefaultUserName and AltDefaultUserName still refers to my daughter's profile. That's probably useless information but I'm lost to provide more information.

Any help appreciated.

shelley

Hi. I worked out the problem. She bypassed the normal logon with TweakUI. I just disabled the autologon and all is now fine. Thanks for trying to help :).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online