1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: The System could not Log you on....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mvramsubbu, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mvramsubbu

mvramsubbu Thread Starter

Hi all,

we have windows 2003 servers and XP clients in our company. we do have password policy by which user has to change password every 60 days. recently 2 users approached me and said they have only one day to change to new password but they are unsable to change password and it is not working. I logged in PDC(2003 server) and located the users and reset their passowrds. now I asked them to restart their system and apply new password. they restarted ans tried new password but it is not working instaead they get a eror message as " The System could not log you on, Make sure your username & domain are correct, then type your password again....." I again reset the users password and tried but it is not working. i ahve rebooted the machine 2 twice and tried but not working. I believe the change done at server end is not reflected at client end....
    Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance
    Ram

2. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson

The error message states the problem is with the username and/or domain, not the password, and clients don't need re-booting to load accounts, they are loaded via the server as the client loggs in. Press Alt+O on the login screen, and see if it says "Log into:" your domain name, not "%computername% (This computer)".

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    My initial thoughts are similar to Callum_Dawson's. I would assume that either the users are incorrectly inputting their usernames or the Domain name has been incorrectly selected from the dropdown.

4. mdockery

mdockery

We are having the same issue with a new user account I just created yesterday afternoon. I've created several new accounts recently (a month or so ago) with no issues. Following the same procedure this time, we have the problem described. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the most recent round of Windows updates, which I just released to my servers yesterday morning.

5. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson

Try re-booting the whole network, checking group policies for all the computers and check that any user can login, double-check the username is correct, etc.

6. mdockery

mdockery

Further investigation showed the updates I released yesterday had not been installed yet. Restart of the 3 domain controllers has resolved the problem. It appears to be related to Netlogon error 5782 in the System event log.

7. mvramsubbu

mvramsubbu Thread Starter

For an immediate solution.. I have disconnect the LAN cable and tried login.... it works.. then i reconnected the LAN cable... by this weekend I need to restart my domain controllers and check...
    Thank you guys for response... I shall get back once checked

8. mdockery

mdockery

Further information... we thought the DC restart had fixed everything, but turns out it hadn't. If you have the Netlogon error 5782 in the System event log on your DC, check out www.eventid.net for info on this error. You will see several references to DNS issues; what finally worked for us was to set the Server Options in DHCP to cause each server to point to itself as the primary DNS server, with the other severs as backups. The eventid info says to do this in TCP/IP advanced properties, but that didn't fix it for us, we had to do it in DHCP Server Options. Once this was done, we also had to restart one of the workstations where the problem was encountered. Hope this helps!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice