1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: The techs at school did something to my computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MushroomButt, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MushroomButt

MushroomButt Thread Starter

Hi, Im a computer noob so yeh..uh i took my computer to the techs at school today. adn they put all their school porgrams and the schoools wireless network. i came back for it and when i turned it on at home, the wireless switch didnt work. Ive got an Acer TravelMate4070 with windows xp and the wireless light is supposed to come on but it doesnt light up! but i can see the icon on my toolbar thingy at the bottom. and they also put restrictions on my computer as well. like ur not allowed to change your theme and stuff. does any1 know how to undo them without getting rid of the school programs?
    Thanks=]

2. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

You will have to ask the techies at your school. They will have to give you permissions to do that kind of stuff (change theme, install etc.) As for the wireless, can you try connecting to a network with it and see whether it works?

3. MushroomButt

Thanks, I dont think they would let me tho. my school is REALLY strict. like no games and stuff. The wireless cant detect any networks although i got a network set up at home. it worked before i gave my laptop to them. I might just go let them have a look at it but i wanna use it now. im borrowing mum's cable.
    Thanks

4. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Well... if you are a student (I'm guessin) and you were at my school and had the amount we have I would really not want my computer on the network, especially with the amount of crap they put on. I would just get it all taken off and just make do with no network at school :) (And if they 'can't' do it make em buy you a new en ;) )

5. MushroomButt

Lol yup. imma student.. - yawn-
    lol mum made me go take it to them but i didnt want to...my mum nags until u give in=]
    and now shes like...meh u wanna wipe ur computer and start over?
    lol thx for the advice. ill see what i can do=]

6. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Yeh, formating I'm afraid may be the only solution depending on what they have done. WHy did your mum want you to take it in? (UK schools have all this secruity nonwsense)

7. MushroomButt

Lol . i think ill stop annoying you..ive annoyed enough people today=]
    ill take it to them tomorrow and say: uhhhh y isnt my wireless working?!
    lol Thanks you sooo much for helping me..lol
    =]

8. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Please mark the post as solved using the thread tools at the top if you think it is all done :)
    Anything else just PM me or my two contact emails are on my profile :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!