1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 'There is no script engine for file extension.vbs'

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jpboyrox, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpboyrox

jpboyrox Thread Starter

I keep getting this issue when trying to run .vbs files. This started because I downloaded and installed Bluefish, for web development. On setup, I selected to associate .vbs files with Bluefish (which I now realise was rather stupid). I realised that when I tried to run .vbs files, the opened up in the editor. I thought then that it would be a good idea to change the file association back to 'Windows Based Script Host' I then tried to run the file and now I keep getting these errors 'There is no script engine for file extension.vbs' every time I run .vbs files. I have done several Google searches and tried everything recommended; scripten.exe won't install as it says 'Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer that the update you are applying. there is no need to install this update.' I also tried (as suggested)
    'Click Start, Run and type: regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\vbscript.dll'
    And I got the "success" message 'DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded.' but this made no difference.
    I also tried, as I was getting desperate, to download an older version of vbscript.dll from the System32 folder and replace my copy, but this had no effect so I changed it back.
    What do you think, any suggestions?

2. moper

moper

3. jpboyrox

jpboyrox Thread Starter

me love you long time. that worked, thanks so much!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice