Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: "There is not enough disk space" warning

2K views 15 replies 2 participants last post by  Elvandil 
#1 ·
Hello people, I have an external 500 gigs drive with over 100 gigs free and a partition on a RAID 0 with 500 gigs free. I was trying to copy a folder with 25 gigs of data from my external hard drive to my 500 gigs partition, until at about copying 2.5 gigs, Windows shows up a warning saying that there is not enough disk space and that the file (was 500 Kb...) could not be copied. I skipped it and kept doing the same thing for every subsequent file... whats my computer's problem? I have WIndows Vista Home.
Thanks!

#4 ·
NTFS should take any file size you throw at it, so that can't be the problem.

Do you have more than one USB drive connected? If so, try disconnecting one.

This may not help, but partitioning and formatting the drive with the OS is recommended since they do a lousy job at the factory, or the drive could have been affected by shipping. The OS's own partitions would be expected to be the most compatible, in any case.

Exactly where are you copying the file from and to? I'm a little unclear about the external and the RAID.

#8 ·
Looks like setting the page file for both the partition and the external HD is making it work. At least at chunks at a time.. I'm still copying... we'll keep you posted. By the way.. its copying at 24 Mb/sec Is that the most for USB2? Do you know how I can improve performance? thanks!

#9 ·
Setting the page file for automatic may be the best idea. But having one on the external may not accomplish much since Windows uses an algorithm to determine which of multiple page files to use, and as you discovered, USB 2 is not the fastest one.

I think that your 24 is probably the best you'll get for USB 2. Setting caching on for the drive will improve overall performance, but not for large file transfers like you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.