1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Thermal paste not on graphics chip, why?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dougx789, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dougx789

Dougx789 Thread Starter

Hi
    I've taken apart a Lenovo B570 laptop to clear out the dust etc and apply new thermal paste.
    A think layer of paste covered the CPU however, there was none on the graphics chip.
    Both share a heat sink/fan and this is the first time its been taken apart since bought new a year ago.

My question is why was there no thermal paste on the graphics chip?

(I will put some thermal paste on the graphics chip for now... if there is a legitimate reason for it not to have thermal paste on I will remove it, but I can't think of one)

Thanks
    Doug

2. Dougx789

Dougx789 Thread Starter

Also the part of the heat sink which covers the graphics chip is extension of the frame which screws the heat sink in place.. So its not copper..

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Which exact B570 do you have? Some only have integrated Intel Graphics and those are built into the CPU itself. Or is yours one of the models with nVidia graphics?

Sometimes there is a pad in between the heatsinks and chipset or graphics chip, if there is then definitely don't add thermal paste. If it's bare metal and there is actual contact between the heatsink and the chip, sometimes there's a gap if its not deemed necessary for cooling, then you can add thermal paste just be sure it's applied correctly.

4. Dougx789

Dougx789 Thread Starter

Model number says 1068 google says there are muiltiple 1068 eg 1068-A2U but I can't see any indication as to which 1068 it is..

Also just realised the heat sink doesn't make contact with the chip.... (probably should have noticed that before original post)

What chip is it then? and why would they make the heat sink longer and not make contact? For models with a separate graphics chip?

Will post a picture in a sec

5. Dougx789

Dougx789 Thread Starter

6. Dougx789

Dougx789 Thread Starter

Sorry for poor image quality..
    What is the chip next to the CPU and why doesn't it make contact with the heat sink?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's the PCH, Platform Controller Hub - what use to be known as the SouthBridge part of the chipset.

And yes, it could be a generic cooler for several lines of similar laptops and in some of those it may be needed or used or it could be a brace to hold or protect something.

The full type-model number is generally on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop. It can also be found in the Lenovo Solutions software in Windows.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What does it say on the chipset itself? Intel or nVidia or something else? Which graphics chip does your laptop have?

9. Dougx789

Dougx789 Thread Starter

Ok, thanks :)

Would have thought they put a thermal pad between as it was there anyway (maybe the gap it too large for a thermal pad to be fully effective)

Thanks for you help

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  11. Dougx789

Dougx789 Thread Starter

BD82HM65
    i SLJ4P
    E110A433

(where the i is the height of all three lines)

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yeah, thats the Intel PCH.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice