1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Thinking Ahead: Converting from XP to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jacjon, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jacjon

jacjon Thread Starter

I have managed to avoid installing Vista and have not missed it one bit. However, I am hearing that Windows 7 will be better and I guess I will need to upgrade when it comes out officially. Does anyone know if I will be able to go directly from XP to 7? Somewhere I heard that I may need to go to Vista first and then to 7, which would seem to be a waste of effort and money. Anyone know the answer to this? Thanks.

Jacjon

2. TOGG

TOGG

This is a link to the 12th February issue of Windows Secrets Newsletter, which includes an article called 'What you should do about Windows Vista' It considers the differences (and similarities) between Vista and 7 (the author thinks 7 should be considered as Vista SP 2, so it will be as demanding as regards hardware etc.); http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/090212

3. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

do a fresh install of 7 as upgrades arent always without bugs
    You can upgrade from xp pro to vista so therefore it will probaly be the same for w7 will more than likely need xppro
    But if you didnt like vista you wont like 7
    I am on it 7 now and it is very much the same as vista with a few changes

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I'd think you should be able to upgrade XP to W-7.
    Might want to wait and see when it comes out.

I've read that it's supposed to be able to run on any computer now.. and it looks a little faster.
    As far as user tools or anything to get excited about .. I don't see anything new in the W7 beta ... It looks like Vista to me.

5. jacjon

jacjon Thread Starter

Thanks Brett. I am only wondering about upgrading since historically, MS stops supporting old OS's eventually and new third party software stops coming out so I figured I had no choice.

Togg, I cannot locate any info on that link you sent me. Hard to figure out.

6. Tbird885

Tbird885

7. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Its faster but not like xp..i still boot to xp just for a fast ride from time to time.
    As before they have taken away some of what is in the prior os and added other things as well

8. jacjon

jacjon Thread Starter

Noyb,

So, can I avoid upgrading once again or will my XP eventually become so outmoded that I will be forced to. Is Vista as bad as its rep?

9. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I dont remember what the deadline is for when Microsift stops updates etc for xp.
    I am sure it wont be real soon and will more than likely get extended when it reaches the end,
    Xp has been around for a long time and software is still being created for it.
    There is no rush to have to move from xp if it is your preferance...but sooner or later you will have to get under vista or 7 and get used to the new GUI...its not that bad....nothing to give awards out to either

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

There's a guy in our computer club still running ME.
    He says it does all he needs .. why switch.

From my point of view .. M$ removed some good XP tools that I use many times a day.
    Then they replaced them with gadgets, and eye candy.

I'm working up a new XP computer .. While I can.
    It also has Vista and W-7 (a.k.a. Fixta) in it .. Guess what I'll be using.

Attached Files:

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Jacjon:

I highly suggest before you make the upgrade from XP to 7(no matter which way you make the upgrade) that you obtain the current XP drivers for the display adapter, network adapters(wired and wireless), chipset, and sound device and then burn them off to a CD-R for safekeeping.

If crap happens and you decide to revert back to XP, you'll be glad you have those drivers handy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

12. jacjon

jacjon Thread Starter

Thanks Guys. I think I will just stick with XP until they pry it out of my dead, cold hands!

J

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

It's still to be decided ..
    But I'm thinking now's the time to spend some money elsewhere .. slowly ..
    and update some of the hardware in my current working computer ..
    My new RAM was supposed to arrive today.

Maybe when Windows 9 comes out .. They'll put the user tools back in that I need.

14. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

If you hang on long enough maybe it will roll around back to 95 again.

Icons?

15. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

What can I say about an OS that doesn't know the difference in, or the purpose for ..
    Icons and Thumbnails ???
    Since when .. is a Thumbnail of the contents of a pdf file .. an Icon ??

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/802739

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice