1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: This file does not have a program associated...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ok555, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ok555

ok555 Thread Starter

Hello all, I've been getting this error "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action..." whenever opening a drive via my computer or any folder within it by double clicking. Right clicking any folder no longer shows 'Open' as first option, but rather 'Explore'.

This problem had a history with me, however previously I found out this problem was only triggered after I installed IE 9 beta, thus I reverted the installation. Now this problem reappeared just recently after what seems like a few windows updates.
    I tried searching other online help, but most fixes only refered to .exe files which I have no problem with, please help me get to the bottom of this nuisance :confused:

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
  3. ok555

ok555 Thread Starter

hi Ent. I've tired the reg fix, however no noticeable difference is observed. I also done a scan with mbam, removed a few threats but that didn't solve the issue at hand.
    Should I start reverting those windows updates? as I believe this error occured just after their installation. But is there a way to permanently fix this error? Because this problem is poping up out of no where straight after installations of important programs/updates.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Did you reboot your computer after applying the fix to the registry?

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Go here:
    File association fixes for Windows 7
    and download the fixes for Directory and Folder. Could be one of those instead of the Drive one.
    To extract the file from the ZIP archive, double click on the downloaded file to open it, then drag the enclosed file to your desktop.
    Double click the file to merge it into the registry.

6. ok555

ok555 Thread Starter

thank yooooou TheOutcaste! Those two directory and folder reg fixes resolved the issue.
    And yes I did reboot after applying the drive reg fix, but TheOutcaste was right on. Cheers guys.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice