1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] This is driving me up the wall, making me COOKOO!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Raistlfiren, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Raistlfiren

Raistlfiren Thread Starter

I can not connect to the Internet on my new computer, and it is driving me crazy! I can not get no Internet Connection! I spent an hour on the phone with my internet provider, but I still could not find out the problem. They said that it might have to do with my Network Settings. I do not know what is wrong! :( Everything that is happening to me is bad, no INTERNET CONNECTION!!!!!!!!! I am routed to a computer so I can send and recieve email messages on my old computer, but not on my new one. I can get on the internet supposedly.... I just can't get to the internet browser. See this is my problem. I can get on my internet service. Like I can go check my ping and stuff through my command prompt. Example ping 65.64.195.1 (Put this in command prompt.... I can just not browse internet pages. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am pulling my hairs out on this problem!!! I am so frustrated.
    Raistlin

2. Dan O

Dan O

How is your computers connecting to the Internet? i.e., dial-up, DSL, or cable modem?

What Connection Setting are you using within IE?

3. Raistlfiren

Hey,
    Thanks for replying... I have a cable modem and was at one time connected through a router. I reformatted my hard drive so a lot of my network settings vaished. I still had internet until one day I rebooted. Stupid me, whenever I rebooted I had no way of getting through a browser and browsing internet webpages.
    Raistlin

4. RayW

RayW

1) routing (incorrect default gateway or no default gatway set)
    2) could be firewall rules that block unauthorized Internet traffic
    3) could be the lack of a DNS server
    4) could be that all Internet traffic must go through a proxy and the browser isn't properly configured for that
    guessing your firewall requires the use of an automatic configuration script. Check that under connection tab, LAN settings

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

what operating system and a little about the computer would help, we're not mind readers.

6. Dan O

Dan O

If it was working a System Restore should fix the problem. Have you tried it?

7. Raistlfiren

Hey,
    Thanks for your guys replies. I have Microsoft Windows XP Pro. Concerning the router, I actually directly connected my cable directly from my cable modem to my pc. I spent an hour trying to configure everything with my internet service. Everything was right because it said my local arewa connection was Connected. (You know where you go to Network Settings and next to Local Area connection it says Connected or not). I have no firewall enabled, and I disabled microsofts from XP SP2. It will connect to isp's I believe because I could go into cmd prompt and type ping ..... It will list the reply 4 times and everything is good. For some reason though my Internet browser will nnot show the webpages though.
    Dan-O= I have tryed to do a system restore, but it still does not work. I tryed doing two of them to be exact, still no connection. I do not know the reason why it is doing this though.
    Raistlin

8. Dan O

Dan O

Raistlin,

I suspect DSN is not working, which converts an URL into an IP address.

To test if it is the problem, from a command prompt type: PING www.hotmail.com

It should display:

Pinging www.hotmail.com.nsatc.net [207.68.171.233] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 207.68.171.233:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

The timed out errors are okay as many sites now days disable ping, but what is important is the first line that shows the IP address for the site.

Post what you get when you try the test I provided and your setting by typing: IPCONFIG /ALL

9. Abomonog

Abomonog

Is your cable modem a Mitsubishi? I have one and never got it to work with any PC without a router in between. Also check internet explorers security options. SP2 cranks it up too far for most users to surf the web well (if at all).

10. Raistlfiren

No, I do not have a Mitsbuishi modem. Mine is callled Scientifc Atlanta.... Yes, I wasn't two pleased about downloading SP2 and I have canceled most of the Security options for internet explorer.
    Raistlin

11. Anti-Intel2

Anti-Intel2

Could this be a Winsock issue Dan-O?

12. Raistlfiren

Hey, I figured out my problem! A program was actually interferring with my internet connection. The program is freeware and is called XFire. It is an instan messenger and you can find and play games with your friends. Thanks for you guys help. Me and another guy finally figured out the problem, took 4 hours, but we solved it! Thank goodness!!!

I have one more question though, do you guys know how to configure your keyboard so you can manage your sound through your keyboard instead of clicking on an icon and managing like that?

Thanks again,
    Raistlin

13. Dan O

Dan O

Raistlin,

That's great news. Thanks for letting us know.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/295319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice