1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: This might be bad....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scrode, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Scrode

Scrode Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently upgraded my PC and ever since I have been hearing a strange electrical sounding clicking noise coming from around the CPU

My upgrade consisted of

Chaintech VNF4 Ultra (Bios is at default settings)
    AMD 3500+ 939 (haven’t OC'ed it)
    Leadtek PX6600gt THD Extreme (Comes pre OC'ed 580/1150)

My System specs

Chaintech VNF4 Ultra
    AMD 3500+ 939
    Leadtek PX6600GT THD Extreme
    1GB OCZ PC 3200 (2x512 in dual channel OCZ4001024P3DC-K)
    Western Digital 80gb 7200RPM 2mb - a little over 2 years old
    Vantech "Stealth" 520w PS (VAN-520A) - less than 5 months old

I haven’t overclocked anything, almost completely at default settings

The electrical clicking noise seems to be synchronized with the HDD activity light on the case. When the light flashes the clicking starts and as long as it stays lit the clicking continues. I have booted the computer with the HDD unpowered and the clicking persists. Also if the computer is left idle at the desktop the clicking noise follows a pattern, ever three seconds of so it will start then stop even if there is no activity on the HDD light.

On top of this my computer now randomly reboots. First the HD shuts down as if someone pulled the plug on it then my monitor flashes to the blue screen of death for less then a second, before it completely shuts down. Then the computer will reboot and start windows as if nothing happened.

These reboots tend to happen when the CPU is under a heavy load (e.g. playing games like UT2K4, multitasking, or burning a cd)

Also when the CPU is under a heavy load programs tend to have critical errors...this may be a separate issue though.

Until yesterday when I installed the parts I have had no problems with my HDD so I thing the problem could be bigger. I have updated and patched every piece of hardware in my computer and made sure all settings are at defaults, the only update I have not made is the beta bios patch for my MB.

I have no idea where to go next...any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Looked but cannot see the operating system in there?

On the off chance it is XP, then disable automatic restarting so you get to read the BSOD.

Control Panel - System - Advanced - Startup and Recovery/Settings - Untick Automatically Restart...

But it sounds perhaps like a temperature issue.

Unsure about the clicking though, you need to closely look at the system and find out exactly where it emanates from.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That is almost certainly a temperature problem. Remove, clean, and refit the heatsink (don't overdo the paste). I think the ticking may then go away. Also see if you can check the voltages supplied by the power supply.

4. Scrode

Scrode Thread Starter

Ok

I checked the bios temperature readings for the CPU after about an hour of gaming the reading was 39° Celsius. I am using the stock HSF that came with the cpu and I replaced the thermal paste with Artic Silver 7. Still the clicking is there. I’ve cleaned and reapplied the thermal paste three times and made sure the heatsink is securely attached to the MB

I also used a temperature probe on some of the hot spots in the system. The HDD read ~105° Fahrenheit from a few different locations; the CPU read ~107° Fahrenheit. I don’t know if that’s useful.

Someone else suggested taking the motherboard out of the case and running it on a piece of cardboard. Another person suggested trying another power supply. I haven’t done either yet.

I have also pinpointed the source of the clicking. Its coming from the capacitors next to the CPU right where you attach the power supply

I’ve got another 7 days to RMA the motherboard so that’s what might end up happening.

5. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    There have been a number of reports of capacitors failing and bursting, not violently just losing the stuff inside. I think I would RMA that one and try another. A Google search will turn up some of the incidents, many with photos, of the capacitor problem.

6. WarC

WarC

Could very well be a faulty motherboard, especially if you've taken as much care you describe in remounting the processor with good thermal paste.

I notice you said the graphics card was factory overclocked. Have you tried scaling back the frequencies there and then seeing how it runs?

Vantecs are generally good powersuppplies and 520w is more than enough even for an A64 machine w/ a heavyweight graphics card like the 6600GT, so I wouldn't suspect the powersupply right off.

7. Scrode

Scrode Thread Starter

Thank you everyone!

I did a google search and sure enough there were many others with the same problem as me. One guy even had the same Mobo. I'm going to RMA it as soon as possible; newegg is generally good with that kind of thing

Thank you again

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!