1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] three quick questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blixa, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blixa

blixa Thread Starter

hi....question one~~~i just installed a new cd-rw but cannot figure out how to enable autoplay, any help please? i tried looking in the properties of the cd-rw but there is no option.
    question two~~~i also just installed a 3d prophet 4000xt graphics accelerator. i followed the instructions and removed my previous video drivers (SiS) but now whenever we turn on the pc it finds new hardware and wants to re-install the SiS drivers. did i miss something? if so where do i look?
    question three~~~when you install a new graphics card does it automatically set your system up in the best way? i am unsure about opengl and direct3d, and screen resolution and what color setting i should choose. the manual and website werent much help. i just want to make sure i have everything set up and running in the best possible configuration to get the most out of the card. any tutorials anywhere? thank you~~~~blixa

2. brianF

brianF

Here's a tweaking guide for a 4500, should help you out as the video card will not set itself up correctly.
    http://www.tweak3d.net/reviews/hercules/prophet4500/

sounds like you have to disable your onboard vga either in the bios, with a jumper, or in device manager. Never had a sis chip so not 100% sure which method will work You could try going to device manager as below, select the sis chip if it's showing up under display adapters, select properties, and check the disable in this hardware profile option.

start/settings/control panel/system/device manager/cdrom tab, select your cdrw, properties, should be a tab to enable autoinsert notification.

3. blixa

blixa Thread Starter

thanks for responding. i had never tried disabling the previos vid drivers, just always tried uninstalling, perhaps that will help. as for the autoplay...nope, theres no tab for autoplay/autoinsert. im running win2k if that makes a difference. and thank you for that link.

4. blixa

blixa Thread Starter

well, all is great now except i still cannot figure out how to enable autoplay/autoinsert. is it possible that this cd-rw just cant do it? if it helps i am running win2k. thanx

5. brianF

brianF

6. blixa

blixa Thread Starter

oh man ,brian ,i wish that helped, i was so close but the value is aready set at 1. i was so hopeful that would be it, but, alas, no go. any other ideas?

7. brianF

brianF

It should be able to autoplay

did you check these two registry keys also
    There are two other registry keys that can affect this functionality:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 0x00000095

-and-
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 0x00000095
    The correct value for each is 0x00000095 .

8. blixa

blixa Thread Starter

Hey!!! that did it!! Thank you so very, very much. i dont know what id do without this forum and you guys/girls. thank you!!!!!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice