1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Thumbnail view of .avi, .wmv. freezes Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by irdaneel, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. irdaneel

irdaneel Thread Starter

Running XP Home SP3
    WMP 11

When using My Computer to view files, as it attempts to load thumbnails of .avi, or wmv. files either in the main window, or in the preview pane, many files cause the OS to freeze solid. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, and sometimes the same file will work, then freeze the next time.

The freeze requires a "press and hold" of the power button to turn off the system. I don't get a blue screen, the existing one just locks up solid, and my cursor becomes immobile. No keys will function, nothing.

Any Ideas?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Edit, next post.

3. celiag

celiag

I had the same problem a week ago and this download solved my problem:

http://www.softwarecandy.com/shop/downloads/slow-show-folder-contents-avi-files-solution

I am using XP, not Vista.

HTH
    Celia

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Thanks Celia.

5. irdaneel

irdaneel Thread Starter

I think I actually found the problem with my system locking up on .avi, etc. files. I'm not positive yet, but for the last 6 hours, and after viewing numerous folders containing video on my computer, I haven't had one freeze. (It was occurring every 5-10 minutes before.)

Somehow, likely during one of the WMP updates from the original version of WMP 9, I managed to get what appears to have been a second installation of the player. I first performed a "RollBack" as they called it, and the system went from WMP 11, back to WMP 9. That didn't solve the problem. I then went into the "Add and Remove Windows Components" section of the Control panel and completely removed it. Oddly enough, while it didn't show up in the "Start" menu, WMP 11 was still installed and working from the "Program Files" directory. Since then, no problems.

I'll update the post if I find that I've failed.

6. irdaneel

irdaneel Thread Starter

Well, it failed. Still trying though.

Even though the price is right on that software fix, I chose not to use it. I'd rather battle it and learn. (It keeps an old man's mind from becoming even more dull than it is already!)

Mumbodog... You had a post up originally that I read, but couldn't get around to following at that time. You then edited it away, deferring to the next post. If it is still valid info, could you repost?

The problem only seems to exist when "My Computer" is opened to a folder with video files in it. It isn't just .avi, it seems to be all of them. I also hear a click from the hard drive, then a slowing of the disk speed, then another click, and the disk speed returns to normal. If I leave My Computer open after these sounds, the computer locks up shortly (within 5 seconds) thereafter. If I quickly close the My Computer window, it will run for a while, even up to a couple of hours, but mostly about 10 minutes, then lock up.

I've run the extensive SMART tests on all my drives, with no errors or thresholds exceeded. I've run full Avast Antiviral scans, again with nothing found.

Educate me anyone?

7. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

irdaneel, Have you tried deleting the thumbs.db files in those folders? The thumbs.db files are hidden so you have to go into Folder Options>View tab and select Show hidden files and folders. They'll be recreated after a restart.

Tufenuf

8. irdaneel

irdaneel Thread Starter

I'll check that out and get back.

9. irdaneel

irdaneel Thread Starter

Yep, I tried it. Didn't work. Gotta reboot before I freeze again.

10. irdaneel

irdaneel Thread Starter

FYI, switching from icon view to thumbnail view triggers it almost immediately. (Just gave that a whirl in both my video folders)

11. irdaneel

irdaneel Thread Starter

Here's a Hijackthis log from tonight.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 10:16:19 PM, on 10/30/2009
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    F:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    F:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    F:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    F:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    F:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    F:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    F:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
    F:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    F:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    F:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    F:\PROGRA~1\VCOM\Fix-It\mxtask.exe
    F:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
    F:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    F:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    F:\PROGRA~1\VCOM\Fix-It\mxtask.exe
    F:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    F:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
    F:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
    F:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    F:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe
    F:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
    F:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
    F:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
    F:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    F:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    F:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    F:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://gateway.2wire.net/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Carl's Desktop
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - F:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - c:\program files\real\realplayer\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - F:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - F:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - F:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] F:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] F:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] F:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE F:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "F:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] F:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "F:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE F:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "F:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://F:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - F:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - F:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - F:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - F:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - F:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - F:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - F:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {1E54D648-B804-468d-BC78-4AFFED8E262F} (System Requirements Lab) - http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload/srl/3.0.0.4/srl_bin/sysreqlab_nvd.cab
    O16 - DPF: {5ED80217-570B-4DA9-BF44-BE107C0EC166} (Windows Live Safety Center Base Module) - http://cdn.scan.onecare.live.com/resource/download/scanner/wlscbase5483.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - F:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - F:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - F:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - F:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
    O23 - Service: Fix-It Task Manager - Avanquest Publishing USA, Inc. - F:\PROGRA~1\VCOM\Fix-It\mxtask.exe
    O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Nero AG - F:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - F:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - F:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

--
    End of file - 6074 bytes

12. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Sorry about the late reply.

What I think is happening, when thumbnail view is enabled on those folder(s), XP does not have the correct codec to thumbnail one or more of the video files in that folder(s), so it crashes explorer. Since you cannot do anything about XP thumbnailing compressed video files correctly you will need to do one or more of the the following:

1. Change the view setting for those folder(s) to something other than thumbnails view.

2. Separate the problem video files from the rest and change the view setting on the problem files folder only.

13. irdaneel

irdaneel Thread Starter

I'll give that a whirl as well. Perhaps after isolating the problematic files, I'll try re-encoding them into something acceptable to XP. (This'll take a while, but what else does a retiree have to do? [Answer: Ask his wife!])

Thanks

14. irdaneel

irdaneel Thread Starter

After much trial and failure at discerning the problematic files, it was apparently a hardware problem. I swapped out for an old Geforce MX-400 I had laying around and no more problems.

Thanks for the help and education. Sorry to have wasted your time looking for a software solution to a hardware problem.

15. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Glad you found and posted the solution.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/868061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice