1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Thunderbird Address Book Problem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Alex Ethridge, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Thunderbird seems to have two address books, one it names Collected Addresses and another it names Personal Address Book.

I have imported my addresses from Eudora into Thunderbird and instead of importing them into Personal Address Book, it made a new address book called Address Book. Now I have three address books and there seems to be no way to integrate them. Also, when I am reading a mail and decide I want that address in my address book, it goes into Personal Address Book (which is empty), not Address Book where all my other addresses are.

There seems to be no way to move one or more addresses from one address book to another. Personal Address Book is not deletable so I thought of moving the addresses from Address Book (where all my addresses are currently) to Personal Address Book; but, it seems Thunderbird doesn't allow for this either.

I would like to be able to export these 200+ addresses from Address Book (that got made when I imported my addresses from Eudora) and import them into Personal Address Book to simplify this address book clutter.

So, does anyone have a workaround for this?

2. hewee

hewee

See is anything here in the 3 links will help at Address Book

3. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Thunderbird starts out with the two default AB's.
    Personal Address Book and Collected Addresses.
    Usually you set the Collected Addresses to copy addresses of people you send replies to.
    The Personal AB is just that, for personal contacts.
    When you Import from another program, TB creates a new AB for the data.

For the autocomplete (start typing the name and you get a list), ALL AB's are used so it doesn't matter what AB has the contact info.
    If you use the sidebar (contact list) and want contacts from other AB's in a particular AB, just open the Address Book and select the AB with the contacts you want in the left pane so they display in the right pane. Select them in the right pane and drag them to the desired AB in the left pane. It won't move them, but instead copies them to the desired AB.

If you want to move the entire Imported AB into the empty PAB (and don't want to drag and drop), you can open the Profile folder and with TB closed delete the abook.mab file and rename the impab.mab to abook.mab.
    Abook.mab is the Personal Address Book and Impab.mab is the Imported book.
    Note: If you have more than one Imported book, they will be sequentially numbered, impab.mab, impab-1.mab, impab-2.mab, etc.

The settings for autocomplete and outgoing addresses are in Tools>Options>Composition>Addressing tab if you want to change how TB handles them.

4. Alex Ethridge

Wow, that was a comprehensive answer; thank you for the great effort and it was a great help. One variation I saw was that when I highlighted all the addresses for Address Book in the right pane and dragged them to Personal Address Book in the left pane, it did move them, not copy them; but, that's what I wanted anyway as I deleted Address Book after moving them.

Thanks again.

5. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

You're welcome. (y)

6. hewee

hewee

throoper,

I never tried that but wonder if it worked because I did all this 3 years ago and remember it was a pain.

Now I still have more then one address book and only to group them like family, friend, church etc.

When writing a email it does not matter what address book they are in because you just need to start spelling then email address name and it will show up.

Thunderbird needs to have a checkbox to group contacts.

Wonder if there is a add-on that can be added?

I know have an Ooma Phone http://www.ooma.com/ and lets me group them and make up my own group and then on any contact put a check mark on one or more groups.
    It's in beta still but works great. Shows a icon for Business, Home and Cell so one of them can show by each phone number.

I like the way it works better because really you got just one contact list. Guess it works like gmail labels.

Here are address book add-ons.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/search/?q=address+book&appver=&platform=

Thunderbird if you got more then one address book and go to add a contact you can add one you already in another address book.

I see the add-on Duplicate Contact Manager that may help.
    Can only search one address book at a time so not up to par yet.

Looks like that is one add-on that needs to be made or added into Thunderbird.

I know I have for Firefox Bookmark Duplicate Detector that works great.

7. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Whenever I've had a mail list that I also want as separate contacts available in the sidebar, I've always just created a new AB for them.
    TB can support any number of AB's and that makes it available from the drop in the Contact List.
    It would be nice, though, if someone could do an extension that would display mail lists in the Contact List drop in addition to the AB's.

8. Alex Ethridge

I really want all of mine in a single address book -- for now.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice