1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Thunderbird and gmail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by raquibird, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raquibird

raquibird Thread Starter

Hi - First, I would like to send you a tiny donation - tiny only because of bank account - tiny is OK?

Husband's computer: a new one is about to be unpacked. Right now: I gave him gmail, and he is getting messages there, and can send from there. He also is getting messages in thunderbird, but not the same ones that are coming to gmail. And he cannot send from Thunderbird. He seems to get 3 or 4 messages in Thunderbird, and then the bulk of his email in gmail. What I want: for him to get all his messages in gmail, and for him to temporarily be able to send from Thunderbird. As soon as the new computer goes on line (little pun there) Thunderbird will be a thing of the past. But right now, can you help?

Thanks so much.

Manuela

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is this "gmail" a special email utility? It sounds like both it and Thunderbird are using POP mail and deleting the message from the server when it is downloaded--hence the first one to see a new message is also the only one to see it. If this is the case, either change the settings to delete from server only when deleted from the email client, or else use IMAP if possible.

If cannot send from Thunderbird probably you do not have a valid SMTP (outgoing) server defined. Or don't have one of the settings correct. Double check them.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Gmail works fine with my thunderbird
    Check the setting in the gmail account - make sure you have set to keep on those settings - a great backup facility .... if you delete on thunderbird - still will be in gmail - saved a few of my family and friends

as terry says - you also have to setup the default SMTP

I use POP on 2 gmail accounts all fine

4. raquibird

raquibird Thread Starter

Hi - Thanks for your help. His new computer is up and running and I fixed it all and have all his stuff coming into gmail and Thunderbird has flown away.

Manuela

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if its all fixed would you mark as solved
    Button at the top of your first post

(y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/893271

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice