Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: thunderbird and outlook

928 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  EAFiedler 
#1 ·
I'm trying to set up thunderbird for my mother on our home computer. She uses microsoft outlook at work. Her outlook is set up to delete the copies of the email from the server. Will thunderbird be able to access incoming email or will it be deleted by outlook before it get's a chance?

Thanks for your time,

#2 ·
If the e-mail is downloaded to her work Outlook program, then they will be deleted and she'll not be able to get them in Thunderbird. But, if she closes her Outlook when she leaves work, then she'll be able to get e-mails at home. As long as Outlook is checking for mail, it will download and delete the mail on the server. I hope I've made myself clear on this. :)

#3 ·
Hi Ghaleon

She has access to her personal e-mails at work?

Yes, as the default setup, Outlook will download and remove the messages from the server, leaving Thunderbird with nothing to download.

If Outlook is setup to leave a copy of the messages on the server, then she can download a copy of her personal e-mails at work, and download the messages into Thunderbird at home. Thunderbird would then remove from the server the messages it downloads.

Both e-mail clients can be setup to leave a copy of the messages on the server, and an additional setting can be configured in one e-mail client to remove messages from the server after so many days.

#4 ·
EAFiedler said:
Hi Ghaleon

She has access to her personal e-mails at work?

Yes, as the default setup, Outlook will download and remove the messages from the server, leaving Thunderbird with nothing to download.

If Outlook is setup to leave a copy of the messages on the server, then she can download a copy of her personal e-mails at work, and download the messages into Thunderbird at home. Thunderbird would then remove from the server the messages it downloads.

Both e-mail clients can be setup to leave a copy of the messages on the server, and an additional setting can be configured in one e-mail client to remove messages from the server after so many days.
I would make them remove the messages after a certain amount of days. :) That way she will get all of her messages at home and at work before they get deleted of the server

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.