1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Thunderbird/Deleted Folder Always shows Empty

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Star Raker58, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Star Raker58

Star Raker58 Thread Starter

Hi All,

Have a minor but irritating problem with Thunderbird. I have used it for a long time without problems, but now, when I delete messages from my "In Box" using the tool bar delete button, the messages completely disappear and are not placed in the "Deleted" folder as used to be the case.:confused: I have, as a result, lost the option to recover any messages if I need to do so.

It may be helpful to know that I use the following extensions/theme for Thunderbird :- Talkback 1.5.0.8 and Lightning ( Calendar Function ) 0.3./Noia 2.0 eXtreme. I have tried disabling/uninstaling these features, without success.

No big deal I appreciate, but it's a pain.

Really grateful for any help out there.

Many Thanks in anticipation :)

2. hewee

hewee

Not sure but open up Thunderbird and go to tools, account settings.
    When it opens or when mine opens it has on the left side "Local Folders" high lighted as in screen shot your see the box on the right to empty trash when you close thunderbird.

So is this what your doing or are you losing the email after deleting even without closing thunderbird down?

Attached Files:

3. Star Raker58

Star Raker58 Thread Starter

Hi Hewee,

Many thanks for your reply.

I was actually losing messages without closing Thunderbird, but I am pleased to say that after more playing around on my own, I have managed to sort the problem, which I think was pretty simple after all.

I right clicked on the deleted folder, went into properties and then Retention Policy. The box "Always delete read messages" was ticked. I unchecked the box, restarted Thunderbird and Problem solved !! Maybe I'm learning slowly, but how the box got ticked in the first place I really don't know. I suppose it was one of my uneducated clicks in the wrong place !!

I will now mark the thread as resolved.

Thanks again Hewee, it's always a comfort to know that there is someone prepared to take the time to offer help. Good on ya! (y)

4. hewee

hewee

Wow that is good to hear and I thank you too because I did not know about the added options you see by right clicking the folder and going to properties so now I see even more is there.

But if it was not checked and got checked then someone else did it or just one of those things that happens now and then.

Back your backups of Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Mozilla Suite and Netscape profiles with MozBackup.

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

It works great. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/522043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice