1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Thunderbird: .mab file nightmare

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Dan9, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dan9

Dan9 Thread Starter

Today 2-8-15 I accidentally deleted most the addresses in my Thunderbird (31.4.0) address book. I always back up my computer and tried restoring my last backup from 2-7-15. The address book was not restored. So I hunted around for more info and found the address book file in the .mab format. When I open it in notepad i can see the information but can't figure out how to convert that .mab file to something else like .ldif or .csv which I could then easily import back into Thunderbird. I know the whole horror story of 'mork' and the .mab file.

Would appreciate any help!

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Hi Dan and welcome to TSG.

I assume the file you found was the abook.mab, which is the Personal Address Book.
    All you need to do is replace the one in the Profile folder with that one.

Open the Profile by clicking Help>Troubleshooting Information>Show Folder button.
    CLOSE THUNDERBIRD, but keep the Profile folder open.
    Find the file abook.mab and delete it.
    Now place a copy of the abook.mab from your backup into the Profile folder.
    Open Thunderbird and the Address Book should now display.

FYI so you know what the different .mab files are.
    abook.mab is the Personal Address Book
    abook (number).mab is user created Address Book
    history.mab is the Collected Address Book
    impab.mab is Imported Address Book
    impab (number).mab is additional Imported Address Book

3. Dan9

Dan9 Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick reply. Hunted around and found a Thunderbird add-on that solved my problem -
    It's called MoreFunctionsForAddressBook available at - https://freeshell.de//~kaosmos/morecols-en.html

Had to play around with it but it restored my address book from the .mab file quite easily.

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Glad you got it done. (y)
    If you're all set now, you can mark your Thread "Solved" with the button at the top.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice